help with giving a quotation

Hello,

I have just received an email this morning from a new customers. She has heard from me and she needs me to quilt a "Dear Jane" quilt for her. My custom quilting price is 44 USD (aproximately) by square yard. There is just another long arm quilter in Spain who does custom quilting (well, there are 2 more but their quilting is very basic yet) and I know that she charges 62 USD per square yard. However, she charges a lot more for special jobs like applique and things like that.

Having said this, I don´t know what to charge since I know that this is going to be a very time consuming job. My first thought has been to say no to this job. Any advice?

Thanks a lot,

Cristy

My answer to "Dear Jane" quilts is no. I've seen a few that have been quilted on a longarm and the results weren't good. I suggested that for the cost of me doing custom work they could probably find someone to hand quilt it which would be a lot more sympathetic to the quilt.

Ferret

Cristy,

This would surely be a lot of work. I would love to get one but I would be sure to charge a lot! It would be considered high end custom because of all the little pieces and the attention to detail that it will surely require. Having said that if you aren't comfortable or won't love doing it then you shouldn't take it!

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I found something intermmediate on the internet. Someone who quilted hers with a Bernina and all she did was SID the squares of the blocks. I am going to offer that option to the client.

Jill, thanks for the suggestion. It sounds good to me but I don´t she will accept it. Spanish piecers are veeeeeeeeeeery traditional and most of them don't want to hear anything about pantographs or E2E.

Best wishes,

Cristy....I just did a google "images" search and there are lots of pics.....on the 5th page, bottom left there is a picture entitled "Becca and Dear Jane"....it has an E2E BF.

(tried to post the link but not allowed)

I can certainly understand your client wanting custom work done on such a time consuming top.

Good Luck with this and please keep us posted on the outcome.

Jill

Archived