in the beginning

OK, all of you wonderful ladies! I will be retiring on the 29th of July-yipee! I have my longarm which I bought last year in hopes of having time to ppp, which didn't happen. However... I'm thinking of doing charity quilts in my quild for ppp for the 1st year (NC). Kinda interested in what you all did for ppp in the ....beginning! :D

Thanks,

Linda:)

I've had my Millie for almost 5 months and am getting practice on baby quilts for the guild. They have kits with the backing and batting and I pick up a few each month. Some are kits that have to be pieced, others are panels, and I've been taking the panels so that I don't have to spend the time piecing. Also, I have a closet with quilt tops that I made for the community and I've been practicing on them. I did quilt a couple that I will either keep or give to someone other than a charity, but they are still practice. I've got tops in the closet that I won't quilt yet because I don't feel confident enough that I won't do quilting that I'm unhappy with. I also purchased a few panels that I am using for community quilts. I give the community quilts to an EMT/first responder in our church and he gives them to people in need as he does his job. The guild that I am a member of is in a different community, however they also accept community quilts. I've done ppp on muslin and cut it up for doggie blankets for my puppy's crate. They could also be donated to a shelter (for animals or people), or a nursing home. There's also the Linus Project,, Ronald McDonald House, and the list goes on. You probably won't have any trouble finding an organization that will appreciate getting quilts. Congratulations on your retirement, I hope you enjoy it, your longarm, and your quilting.

Use paper and pen, or dry erase board. It really does help to practice off the machine. Keep paper and pencil around when you are on the phone, you can doodle feathers, lines, meandering or anything else that strikes your fancy. You never know, you may create some awesome design:D

I did---and still do ----Quilting for our guilds Community Quilts. I also offered to quilt for Quilts of Valor. I quilt "the Martha Quilts" for our mini group. The Remnants. We make donation quilts with the fabric one of our friends willed to us before she succumbed to her battle with breast cancer.

I also frequently purchase completed quilt tops or preprinted panels on eBay to quilt on. Once you start quilting, you probably won't piece as much, or have the time to piece a lot of your own quilting projects. So, quilting already completed tops keeps your skills ongoing.

You really don't want to be without something to quilt! or you can get "rusty" between quilting projects. I also use a dry erase board like Cheryl mentioned, and I doodle a lot, even here at the computer with my tablet.

I don't have a quilting business like many of the members here---but, I love machine quilting! and I know you are going to have a lot of fun with your long arm and upcoming retirement! Happy Days!

Archived