dxf to CQ

Marg Layton

I have no experience with digitizing, and am wondering if you can take a dxf file from a Statler designer like One Song Needle Arts and run it through the DXF to CQ program we got with our software package and then just stitch it out. Please be kind to me, because I am asking this question not knowing at all what is involved with this program.

I am going to be going to Innovations in September, and see that Page Johnson is offering a lot of Statler classes, and I am hoping to be able to take some of those classes and use the knowledge she will show us and convert it into use on my CQ. Unforturnately, I have not seen a lot of classes offered for CQ users, and the two days of training I received when I got my CQ were great, but now I am looking to broaden my horizons.

Marg Layton

Edmonton, AB

APQS Millie with CQ added last year

Hi Marg,

I have a CQ on my Millie too. To answer your question: statler designs are digitized with macros and they do not "convert" without extra work (in autosketch) in the DXF to CQ ready to use in our CQ systems. You have to take the designs into Autosketch first and do some work on them. If you are wanting to purchase a statler design ready for use inthe CQ, buy it from a designer who will do the work for you....I know Jessica Schick has many One Song patterns converted for CQ use. There are some really good sites out there to purchase CQ patterns from.

Taking classes at Innovations on Statler will give you statler use info which is probably good to know the inside working of if you know the CQ digitizing system already, otherwise, it may get you a bit muddled up.

There are other software programs out there that can help with conversions, but to me that was another expense I did not want. I purchase my designs from designers who use CQ or know how to digitize for our systems as there are differences...it is cheaper in the long run for me and if there ever is a problem I just email them and they take care of it, and I can concentrate on my quilting.

To broaden your horizons, start by reading all the older posts here about compterized quilting, CQ, etc and then go and read all the posts on the CQ site and if you are not a memeber of the compuquilter's users group, sign up there and read what has been discussed. There is a tonne of info on those sites, it's a good place to start.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Nadia

Hi Marg,

zeke here. What I have found is that you need the training to do most digitizing. You can try doing it on your own, but that's going to take a long time to understand. I found a woman in Oregon that knows her digitizing like the back of her hand. It's an on-line coarse with her over the internet and on the phone. The training lasts about 23 to 25 hrs, give or take. That depends on you and know well you absorb the materials. You will receive an instructional manual that is very condensed. If you have the time and the want, she's your ticket to digitizing. Her name is Suzanne Moreno and she can be reached at 541-660-8053 or at cqdigi@charter.net. Good luck, zeke....

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with JoAnn, if you just need to convert then Pro-Q will do the job for you. Just be aware that not all digitizing is created equally & you may still find that you need to tweak a little bit to get rid of excess jumps, etc.

This is one of the reasons that we work with One Song Needle Arts on conversions to formats that She doesn't carry. We try to take out as many extra jumps, etc as we can before we actually convert the patterns. Most of these can be done in Pro-Q without a ton of effort.

Archived