Halfway through a Quilt

David

My wife was halfway through a quilt when the machine (2009 millenium) started to play up. I've checked it out and these are the problems as far as I can see.

1 When the machine is switched on it immediately starts in slow up/down mode.

2 The needle will only stop in the down position.

3 The machine will not stop unless in SR mode.

4 The speed setting is lost when the machine is switched off.

These faults are the same when using the controls at either the front or back of the machine. For the last few months it has been working perfectly.

David,

When the machine is switched off, it will always "reset". It does not have a memory as to what your previous settings were.

See if the "command-yellow" function on the right handle will bring the needle up for her. If the machine begins in the "needle down" position, it will end in the same position. It will always "stop" with whatever mode was selected before the sewing motor is activated. If you want to begin with the needle down, but have the machine stop with the needle up, you CAN hold in the command button on the right handle and tap the right yellow button ONCE while you are quilting (even while you are moving.) This sends a signal to the machine to stop in the UP position when you turn off the sewing motor.

To stop the machine, make sure you have not gotten into the habit of holding in the command button before touching a colored button. Touching any colored button should stop the machine, but only if you aren't also holding in a "command" button.

When you turn on the machine, it will normally cycle through one needle rotation, but if it continues slowly stitching, then the needle positioner may need adjustment.

Double check these things, then let us know if you still have troubles. That will help us diagnose if there's a circuit board problem.

It does help to work through the exercises in the back of the manual (you'll find a complete manual on the CD that should have come with your machine; the assembly instructions were printed, but the complete manual has over 230 pages of information--you can either view them by opening the file on your computer, or print out the manual for future reference.)

Hope one of these hints works!

I assure you I have tried all your suggestions. My wife has moved the machine off the quilt so that I could get at it to give it a thorough check. I have tried adjusting the needle positioner but it will not allow the needle to stop at the top however quickly you tap the yellow button. I turned it down gradually until the needle wouldn't move either up or down, It's now back to its' original position, (By-the-way, the manual needs updating as the screw is now on a circuit board and not as shown in the manual).

We have removed the shuttle and made sure everything is clean, but this was done at the start of the quilt anyway.

When I said the machine would not stop unless in SR mode, what happens is in normal mode the speed of the needle drops from say 12spi to the slow cycle mode and the only thing that will stop it is the ctrl/yellow button, and however quickly you tap the yellow button it will not stop at the top

Archived