Has anyone ever used "cotton classic batting" blend from Walmart (i'm thinking)? It's a poly-fil cotton 80/20 bat from Fairfield. I was given an old, embroidered top to quilt and have to return it even before I start. I said to make the backing 6" larger, min. It's the same length as the top. Yikes!! I think I should have had a little more info before I gave her a price because it is really a custom even though the quilting pattern is stamped on the quilt (made in the 50's). I ordered cotton thread, any other advice? Thanks-Marie

I took a great class at MQX on quilting UFO's. Nancy Goldsworthy, the teacher, suggested using the printed design and not improvising. That way if the marks don't all come out, your stitching will hide them. The other thing she mentioned is that soaps were different then and the dots were printed using a dye that our current detergents can't quite get out. She has a recipe... lemon juice and buttermilk (yuk) that worked on a quilt she did. If you find you need the recipe, I can get it from my notes.

Best of luck,

Leslie

Archived