Noise in Bobbin Assembly

am hearing a noise - like something is hitting something that it shouldn't be hitting - in my bobbin assembly. Have tried to change needs, change bobbin cases, change bobbins with no luck. I looked at the timing, but it doesn't appear to be off. The only thing I've

noticed is there appears to be some looseness (right to left) in the bobbin assembly. But I thought there was suppose to be this. There also appears to be some wear on the black piece in the bobbin assembly - the back side of the hole that the needle goes through. I'm wondering it the needle is hitting it when the machine is in motion. The noise has been getting worse as I've attempted to work today. Originally could not replicate when I locked the channel locks and when I took the bobbin case out. Now will do it anytime I try to sew - with our without the bobbin case in. However it won't do it if the machine is stationary and I am running it at constant speed - no thread in the machine. I've just tried rewatching most of the maintenance video and it doesn't appear to address this question. I'm worried that I need to replace my bobbin assembly again - last time this caused so much problem, I had to make a special trip to Iowa to have Connie and Mike work on it. Any suggestions?

Feeling frustrated on a Sunday afternoon.

Kari Schell

APQS Millennium

Brooklyn Park, MN

Found the problem. The person I rent my machine to cleaned the bobbin area before she left last time. In doing so she unscrewed the needle plate - but didn't put the washers back correctly - she had the one thin and one thick in the front and a thin one in the back. I think it should be the two thin in the front and the thick in the back.

Surprised that something like this would cause so much noise. Does anyone know the reason.

I'm happy the problem is solved - although I did waste most of the day working on the issue. Sure wish there was weekend support for these machines, since that's the only time I get to quilt.

Kari

Hi Kari,

Glad that was an easy fix! Just for the record, you should have a thick and thin washer under the front and back of the needleplate. This will keep it level and spaced evenly.

Take care,

Mark APQS

Trying the post again. I think I have lost one of the thick washers. Who knows - it may have gotten picked up in the vacume cleaner. Do you know what type of washer to ask for at the hardware store?

Kari

Kari,

The reason for all the noise is that when the hopping foot comes down and compresses the fabric it is doing this against the plate. So since the plate was loose it would clank or make a noise when being pushed upon. The thick washers are 1/16th" thick and the thins are 1/2 that.

Good luck!

Mark

Archived