Panto copyright

I've seen this topic briefly on a couple of posts. One was

regarding designer name recognition for quilts on display

at quilt shows and one just recently from ToManyQuilts (Susan)

Does anybody have a list of what designers/studios allow

professional quilters to use their patterns freely and which

do not. I don't quilt as a business but someday I might. It

is probably a good idea to know which pantos I can re-use.

Most of my pantos (12 or so) do not mention that it is OK to

use on customer quilts. Then I saw one that spelled it out -

pro quilters are free to use the pattern on customer

quilts.

Guest Linda S

Linda - I buy most of my pantos from Jodi Beamish - hers say that you can use them on as many customer quilts as you want but that you should not use them to mass produce quilts. I think, but am not quite sure, that Darlene Epp also has a similar copyright on her patterns. I have a few of them, so would have to look. I think Hari Walner (sp?) is the person who says that you have to buy a new pattern every time you use it.

Linda

Linda,

Thank you for the tip. That will make it a no-brainer for me. Jody Beamish

designs are my favorites. Now, I know to be more careful when I buy

a pattern. Before this copyright issue came up on the forum, I really never

paid any attention to the end of the pattern. Copyright, for me anyway,

meant, don't copy (Xerox) the pattern.

I don't think we have heard the last of the copyright buzz. The computer

industry got hot on it a few years ago and I think that the idea has spread.

I know that pattern costs can add up but I support copyright rules. But I

also believe that imitation can be a form of flattery. As long as you

are up front about it; i.e. your customer knows it is another person's

pattern or you give the pattern designer a byline on a quilt entry in a

show. Most people wouldn't want anybody to plagiarize (steal) their work.

Folks like to be recognized for their work.

However, I don't know that customers desiring an allover quilting, vice

a custom quilting, would be willing to incur the cost of a panto (per quilt) in

addition to the quilting fee, thread fee, etc.

Like I said, I think that I will start paying attention to the copyright and

be careful what I buy.

I have a question on quilt patterns. What if you make a quilt for someone using a certain pattern and you don't really sell it to them....they purchase the fabric, etc. to make the quilt. Is that considered the same as selling someone's copyrighted design. I don't make that many quilts that I have someone pay for (fabric). Most of mine are given away.

When you purchase longarm continuous line quilt patterns, wouldn't you think that the designers realize that you are going to be using these on customer's quilts. I think if these designers are really concerned then they should make a big effort to print restrictions on useage on the patterns.

It can turn into a nasty mess if you sell a lot of these copyrighted patterns. I have a friend whose job it is to visit bizarres, etc. and check to see if anyone is using their copyrighted product. They can really do a number on someone if they are caught. I hear Disney is one of the worst.

Are we really doing something terribly wrong to make one quilt for someone using a pattern and charging them for our time? I'm making a quilt right now for my daughter-in-law usisng a pattern from McCalls. I don't see anything about copyrights on this pattern unless there is a general copyright statement in the magazine. Of course I am not charging for this quilt, but would it be wrong to charge to make just one if this is the quilt someone wanted?

if that person is buying the fabric have them purchase the panot as well. I have that written in my brochure "some designers request that the customer purchase a copy of the panto the panto or pattern will be returned with the quilt" or something like that.

trademarks are always a no no

and if you use a pattern to piece the quilt you must ask the designer to show it sell it or give it away. you must do this as well for the quilting pattern(panto) as well. I am sure some one could argue the fabric company as well.

so yes its very confusing I once read Tiger Woods sued a women who painted an oil painting of him and sold it! lucky for Andy Warhol Campbell Soup's didn't sue! and where would Norman Rockwell be today?

Archived