difference between LA quilters and "piecers"

Funny thing, at the big shows like Houston, all the ohh and ahhing in front of the quilts......If you look at the quilt it might be hand done or machine stitched. Still many, many people recognize really nice work whatever the method....

I started out with the quilt police dictating my actions, that didn't last long. I finally came to the conclusion that with 4 children I wasn't going to have enough hours to get it all done, hence I learned to do with machines everything that I could, and still keep the spirit of the piece the way I imagined it. For some things , it means hand quilting, for others it is machine work. I know that a lot of tops from the early days would have been finished and used if there had been a LA around:D:cool: Quilt any which way you can!!! Pat

I'm a piecer and have only used machines. I have no desire to hand quilt or hand piece. I actually don't care for the hand quilted look unless it's a show quilt that's elaborate and done very very well.

Go to a quilt show if you can and study the quilting. Take your camera! Machine quilters have a lot more creative freedom and capabilities than hand quilters.

In my opinion, even the simplest quilt looks better with an overall machine stipple than a skimpy hand quilted job.

Maybe I'm a reverse snob....:P

I was in Houston a few years ago and a gal won Best in Show with a thread painted quilt, and some quilters were up in arms about how could a thread painted quilt win Best in Show!?!?!? It wasn't even pieced or appliqued!?!?!

I was staying with my nephew who worked at the local paper and he couldn't believe that this was front page news, so I got to explain to him the "controversies of the quilt world" and how thread painting was nothing compared to the controversy of hand vs machine...

My take on the thread painted quilt was that if a whole cloth quilt is considered a quilt, so should a thread painted quilt be considered a quilt!

But - back to the hand vs machine, I love to knit, crochet, cross-stitch, embroider, etc, but DON'T like to hand sew! I love the speed and efficiency of using a machine and can get so much more done.

Julia

Archived