question on multiple borders....

SandraC

I have this custom quilt to do this week and am in a quandary on the multiple borders. Back in the day, if I had a single border I would do the first one then the opposite one and then rotate the quilt to do the rest...what a pain. Now I usually leave the border til the end and do it all in one pass around the quilt...works great.

These borders are 1.5", 3", 9" and 3". I don't think I can leave them all til the end without creating problems. I would like to leave the biggest border til the end (she wants some type of feather or vine). I just don't know the sequence of what to do. How do you all tackle this...stop and start with each roll of the quilt??? I can't think of anything else but it seems like so many stops and starts.

Any ideas would be welcome, as well as any of your great doodles on the other borders. I think the big border may be my first try at "molar" feathers.

Thanks

post--13461902989912_thumb.jpg

Sandra,

I would probably end up turning that quilt. I would do the SID starting at the side, up to the top, then down to where I could reach and tie off. If you aren't going to do SID then I would do the actual stitching the same way. I like to get my corners out of the way if I can. You could do hook feathers which could be done about 12" long and then you wouldn't have to turn it as you would be able to manage that as you go. I would definitely make sure that I pinned a lot as I go!

Ok, here goes nothing! I'll give it a try. I don't get many custom quilts. The last couple of weeks has been a blur of trying to get E2E quilts done for Christmas. I really feel like taking my time with this one and doing it justice. Sounds like she just wants freehand overall stuff in the middle, so I'd really like to make the borders sing.

Sandra,

Custom quilts definetely take a lot longer. I'm working on my last one for the month. I hope to get it done by Tuesday. I'm doing square feather wreaths in the middle, 25 of them, and piano keys and feathers in the outside borders. I have to turn this one to do the feathers along the side. If I really worked at it I could do it without turning but it will be quicker to just turn it. I'll be glad when it is done! Then I have to do my baking and shopping.

Archived