Broken Needle Jammed--Help

The broken needle tip is wedged between 'black' bobbin casing and 'silver' outer casing and is too small a piece to grab with needlenose pliers. I have turned the flywheel by hand and at no point is the needle budging.

Do I need to dismantle the whole thing?

Help?

And it is Sisters Quilt Show prep month!!!:(

Hi Tinkerbell:

Don't be alarmed. (After rereading your post I would try rocking the flywheel and dislodging the broken piece.) Most times I encounter this I am able to rock the hook assembly back and forth and the broken piece will fall out. You might want to release the Hook retaining finger and rock the hook with your hand. I would first try rocking the flywheel back and forth first.

Sometimes when I can see the broken piece I can take needle nosed pliers, or hemostats and pull the broken piece out. You might be able to dislodge it with a screwdriver or scratch awl.

The worst case is to remove the Hook retaining finger and remove the hook assembly. Then take a small screwdriver and remove the small screws holding the hook assembly together. ( I think there are seven screws). The broken piece will easily come out. Put the Hook Assembly back together reinstall the hook and time and you are home free. You may have to polish the shaft with some abrasive cloth to get the Assembly to easily slide on the shaft. This is the worst case scenario.

I have had to take the Hook Assembly apart a few times to remove a broken needle. I have never had to replace a hook when this has happened. The Hook Assembly is very sturdy.

If you have a problem removing the Hook Assembly let me know because there is a easy way to remove it.

You can call me here at Country Lane if you need personalized help.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Whew! Thanks John, Connie, and especially Myrna. TinkerBell is stitching again. Does that mean I replaced the hook assembly, retaining finger, and timed correctly? Myrna walked me through the timing part in just the last few minutes. (60 some but whose counting at this point) That is amazing. I hope it really is just right.

Everyone out there--I went from paralyzed fear to tears to screams to elated joy today. I am exhausted but will sleep better tonight, for tomorrow I can get busy on all those last minute Sisters Quilt Show quilts!!!

Thanks again,

BJ Tinker and TinkerBell:D

WOW John: When I have a problem like the one Tinkerbell had, I'm asking you for help.

Your responce even made sence to me, & I'm the lest mechanical person out there.

It's so cool that we have this forum as a resource to fall back on, I think alot of us wouldn't make if we didn't.

Thanks

Hi All,

The best way we have found, is to leave the finger in and grab the hand wheel and jerk it counter clockwise... this will back the broken tip out of the hook with out doing further damage....

Sometimes if you have to replace the hook, it is because the needle jamm can " spring" the inner basket and then you will have trouble.. I guess it is a matter of how hard you jam it..

Just let us know if you are in doubt and we will figure it out!!!

OK everyone--HELP again. PLEASE. TinkerBell is stitching but when I speed up and go backwards she is skipping 1-3 stitches. Is it possible that the needle is not straight on enough? Or is it the total timing not quite right. Stitches are great otherwise. I have the needle slightly to the left as taught in the beginning.

Going to go cook dinner now and take a break. So any help I can get thru this venue would be appreciated.

OTHERWISE--I may be calling someone again tonight!!!! Look-out TinkerBell is after you!!!

:o:)

Archived