paper piecing

Paper-piecing--you either love it or you HATE it. I once had a woman in a class tell me she tried to get the paper off the back of the block by running it through her dishwasher-Yowzer!! Oh migosh! Don't--do--that!!

I can't find the thread where you all are talking about paper-piecing, so I'm just starting a new one. I jumped in because, although it sounds as if you have most of it right, Myrna, Honey, :P I think you had to leave the class before we talked about putting the blocks together. I ALWAYS remove the paper BEFORE sewing the blocks together, NOT after the quilt is together.

#1--If you sew the seams together, then you have that teeny weeny strip of paper to get out of both seams, and it's a bear to do that.

#2--if you need to ease your seams together to match points or whatever, you CAN'T do it with the paper on.

#3--So much unnecessary bulk to handle while you're trying to get the quilt through your machine

#4--So much easier to sit with a stack of completed blocks and tear the paper off during a good movie, than to tackle a whole quilts-worth of paper, crawling around on the floor.

I'm trying a subliminal message, here--buymybook, buymybook, buymybook--did it work? If so, go to my website www.nightowlquilter.com

to buy it--lots of paper-piecing tips and all sorts of other information you didn't want to know.

Claudia MYERS

Claudia, I boughtyourbook, boughtyourbook, boughtyourbook! :P Through my guild, and it is on order, so I'm anxious to get it and learn from you! And before I started I did visit your website and read the tips you offer. When I'm unstitching for the third or fourth time I don't think your rule #12 is working for me. :P Any of you others reading this that haven't been to Claudia's site and read her paper piecing tips, rule #12 is: Have Fun! 2 Much Fun!! I have to be done with this paper pieced quilt before your book arrives so I started the other thread about paper piecing and certainly got a lot of useful advice. Claudia, thank you for offering your advice, too. This is a learning experience for me and I'm going to persevere and finish this quilt! Photos to follow, but don't anyone hold your breath :D:D:P

I was playing around with some paper piecing last night. It's a simple Flying Geese Heart. I get so frustrated!! I feel like I am wasting so much fabric trying to get the right size for each section. I spend so much time frogging and repositioning to make pieces line up. This isn't my first attempt or second or third...... I just love the results but there has to be an easier way!! I took a class but it was more about the quilt pattern than technique. I will keep trying.

Originally posted by snowquilter

........I'm trying a subliminal message, here--buymybook, buymybook, buymybook--did it work? If so, go to my website www.nightowlquilter.com

Claudia MYERS

Claudia, your book just showed up in my mail box this week and I will attest that yes, it is a lovely book! Gorgeous!

PS: I love paper piecing. I am sure that your book will help me to be a better paper piecer. I am learning from the master, of course!

Thanks again, Claudia.

Merry Christmas!

Archived