needle size

I have a question about needles. The machine came with 4.0 needle size. Searching around on the internet and reading posts, it seems a lot of people use 3.5. Just wondering what your opinions are. I just finished a smaller size wall quilt. When I hold it up to the light, I can see the needle holes. The fabric was mostly light yellow on front and muslim on the back, used 80/20 hobbs batting. Is this normal? It might be because my fabrics are so light. Or is it because I used 4.0.? Thanks for any answers.

Hi,

I'm no expert, but I wonder if those holes you see disappear after washing. That seemed to happen with my quilts that I have washed. Maybe they even relax with time.

Right now I am working on a quilt that has both top and backing in batik fabric. It must be tough cloth because I needed to use a 5.0 needle to penetrate it.

So, I guess this is just like a domestic machine....the needle size will vary with the type of cloth.

Linda/9patch

Okay, bear with me,

What kind of silicon? Where do you get it? How often do you need to reapply?

I did give the machine a break and replaced the needle midway in this project. I am not quite finished so I may be looking for silicon today.

The lady at the quilt shop where I bought the fabric mentioned that she had heard that batik is hard to quilt. She was thinking hand-quilting, and I was thinking longarm. I didn't think I had to worry. Got that wrong!

Thanks a heap.

Linda/9patch

Archived