Basting for Hand Quilting

I always did very large like 3" lengths both horizontal & diagonal thru out the quilt top, then pulled the threads out as I went.

Or, are you doing this by hand or by machine? guess I should of asked. LOL!

I think Dawn had an arcticle about this. You could also check out any video's on youtube to see if anyone has any instructions there.

A few things I have learned-- use thin poly thread with high contrast--for ease of removal by the hand quilter.

Do not float the top--you will need tension on the top for best results.

There are lots of stitch configurations to try--all horizontal/vertical lines, a big puzzle meander, really anything that does the job.

You can use a manual mode slow/move quick combo and move the machine evenly to get the stitch length you want. Or you can do a one-stitch and move the head. This will give you a long basting stitch, but it is very time-consuming.

I charge a half cent a square inch so 106 x 106 would be $56.18.

(My choice for stitching is a "castle top" line--over-up-over-down-over-up--about four inches each, all across. Start the next line four inches down, stitch the same configuration. This will give you a box grid that finishes as you reach the bottom. It is quick and easy.)

Archived