Thread adjustments

I've struggled with every cone of Superior Perfect Quilter or whatever their cotton thread is called. It snaps and it breaks and it shreds. I've talked to Superior, I've talked to APQS, I've adjusted top tension and bottom tension, changed needle sizes, changed bobbin thread and thought I'd done everything possible.

Today, I was determined to use the thread on my own quilt so I started and right off the bat, it broke. I stood there and pulled the thread through the needle with my hand and could tell that there was more drag on it as it was coming off one side of the cone. I adjusted the little thing right above the thread (the one that has the screw in it) and I got it into a position so that the thread coming off the cone had a uniform tension, no matter where it happened to be coming off the cone. Does this make sense? Anyway, I did the entire quilt with not another thread breakage!

Hope this helps someone else.

Judy L.

I'm not sure if this was your case or not, JudyL...

But at QTQ, in his Maintenance Class, Mike had said that many times the little "pig-tail" thread guides may have a groove worn in them. This will cause the thread to actually shread.

Maybe your "adjustment" was just enough so that your thread does not travel down the same "groove" any longer. ???

Great thread, I agree!

I've had exactly the same problem :(... What I've also found is to simplify the thread path as much as possible. That is, to let the thread travel through the "triple holed" guides: once on the guide in the top middle of the machine head and twice only in the guide just above the tension spring... I'm sure I'm going to hear all sorts of reasoning to the contrary but eliminating ANY potential resistance has cleared up most of my thread breakage issues. :)

As to the guide above the spool - boy, that has to be centered as closely as possible. Having spoken to the thread distributors about this, they point out that the thread on the cone is rather tight and any "off center" resistance will cause the thread to hesitate on the spool itself. I've also found that heavily dyed thread - like dark threads - tend to stick a little bit more than lighter colors. Picky, picky!...:) But, when you're trying to quilt, the last thing we all need is to have the thread break all the time.

Hi Everyone. The thread issue is always intriguing to me because there are so many beautiful threads to work with out there these days. I try to experiment with lots of different threads here at the showroom so that we will be better equipped to assist with any difficulties you all are experiencing. Have you all seen the rich, gorgeous colors in Superior's Rainbows line that were designed by Marilyn Badger? Check them out. I believe there may be more on the way from Marilyn as well. Anytime we can be of assistance with any thread issues, please call us. My extension at the showroom is 15, which will put you directly through to my desk. I'll be happy to help any time I can. :D

Hi everyone,

I Have been sewing the machines off here at the factory for at least 1yr. I have yet to find a thread I can't sew on.

You must remember these machines are made to sew, and they will. Usually it is a minor adjustment, Just don,t get so frustrated that you can't see straight. Call me first or someone. I have done some service on machines lately and they have sent or brought the thread they have (never been able to sew with)

with some general maintanance and a few adjustments it worked!!!!

On thing I can't stress enough is keep your machine cleaned and oiled.

If any of you are ever passing through Carroll, Ia let me know ahead of time and you can come see me for some one on one training. No charge to you. We as a company want you to be proud to have our machines and we want it to work good for you. I know that is possible if you help us help you!!

If you need anything let myself or someone know.

Connie

APQS Service Manager

Hi Connie,

I have generally been able to use any threads that I want with the exception of one---jeans stitch. I have tried using it with cotton in the bobbin and I have tried using it with poly in the bobbin. The last time I tried, I could not get the tension right. Stitches looked good on top but the back had lots of loops and knots:mad: I finally gave up and went back to my "normal" threads.

Changing the tensions both top and bobbin are not a problems with me. I have the tension gauge and use it especially when I have problems. I figured I can't louse it up any worse that it already is. So .... have any ideas as to how I can get the jeans stitch thread to work?:D I would really like to use it on several quilts.

Thanks

In the event you don't get a satisfactory stitch with the Jeans Stitch, have you tried the Superior Perfect Quilter thread? The owner of the LQS for whom I do quilting always thinks I've used Jeans Stitch when I've used the Perfect Quilter.

Judy L.

Hi Connie and Judy,

When I tried the Jeans Stitch thread I tried a 5.0 needle. I normally use the 4.0 for most stitching.

I have used the Superior Perfect Quilter and Poly Quilter and really like them both. I have a larger selection of colors in the Signature cottons so seem to use them the most. I also use the Valdani and some YLI threads. Also like the Aurifil.

This last time I was quilting a wool quilt with Hobbs washable wool batt and a wool backing. I have also tried to use Jeans Stitch on cotton with Quilter's Dream poly batt. Each time I have problems with loops and knots on the back.

Any other suggestions??? I'm all ears!!

:D

Here, here, Connie. I agree with absolutely everything you are saying about working with threads on our machines. And I share your sentiment of welcoming any customer to come by anytime for help. I am at the showroom in Des Moines, Iowa, everybody; and I would be happy to offer some one-on-one assistance to anyone who may be passing through and wants to come visit.

And Judy -- glad you like those Superior Rainbows! They are my favorites. The every one-inch color change is just awesome! If a person is looking for variegated thread, it doesn't get any more variegated than that! Keep your eyes open for those new Marilyn Badger colors to come out. I'm sure they're going to be beautiful!! I can send out color charts to anybody who doesn't already have Superior's color charts. Just email me at carla@apqs.com. We will be carrying Superior Threads soon and you'll be able to order them from us at APQS. Until then, Heather and Bob at Superior Threads will be happy to assist you with nothing but the best in product and customer service. Check out their site www.superiorthreads.com . ;)

Archived