Help...machine embroidery question.

Kay Anderson

Are you talking about removing the adhesive from the hoop? If so, the product the works for me is Sure Clean. I get it at Sally's Beauty Supply (anyone can shop there), and it's main purpose is for cleaning hot wax machines. You might have to tell the sales clerk what it is used for because they usually don't know what I'm talking about when I ask for it. I use a disposable aluminum baking pan, lay the hoops in it, squirt/sprinkle the Sure Clean on the hoops, and let it sit for a while - perhaps 15 to 30 minutes. I use an old toothbrush to brush the sticky stuff off of the hoop. Depending on how much is on the hoop you might have to re-do a few spots. I keep the pan and re-use it until it looks like it needs to be thrown out.

Sure Clean works better for me than Goo Gone or one of the other products made specifically for removing sticky stuff. A nicer product to use is Orange TKO, but you can't buy it in the store. I got my last bottle from an eBay seller. It has a citrus smell and isn't a chemical product like the Sure Clean.

I've been machine embroidering for over 10 years and I used to think that my hoops had to be clean, but not any more!! :D The sticky that is on them helps to hold the stabilizer and/or item being embroidered and really aids in the hooping. Just my opinion and I clean them only when they are really bad. :P

You probably know, but don't spray the item being embroidered, only spray the stabilizer. I had a shirt that I had used too much spray adhesive on the stabilizer and the excess transferred to the shirt. I dipped Q-tips in the Sure Clean and gently rubbed repeatedly until the adhesive was removed. This was after the shirt hung in the closet for several years. Good luck with your project!

Archived