Tension Nightmares

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I got my Millie for Christmas this year and I have a love hate relationship with her! Most of the time it's wonderful but I am getting railroad tracks on the bottom of my quilts that come and go. The tension is okay for 3-4 inches, then I get these awful tracks with the top thread poking through for an inch or two, then back to good tension. If it was consistantly awful I could deal with it but this coming and going is driving me insane! I have a Towa gauge that I read somewhere to set my threads for 25 and I have a top thread gauge that I set for 190. I mostly use King Tut or Aurufil threads 40 wt. Does anyonehave any ideas???

I too got my machine in Jan and was ready to pull my hair out. I finally spent the money and purchased the same tension testers you have. I have found with the 40 wt cotton thread that the bobbin should be at 15 and the top at 175. It works for me and I hope it works for you because I remember just laying under the machine wondering if I made a huge mistake. Please let me know if this helps...

Cassandra:

The top tension gauge is a Tajima Thread Tension Gauge and I bought mine through Columbia River - www.columbiariverquilting.com. It was only $17.95.

Sherry - thanks for the suggestions. I think I have that page memorized now but to no avail!!

Cassandra - thanks for the support. I am sure you know exactly how I am feeling right now. It's a good thing it's so heavy or else the sewing machine would be in the deep end of the pool!! I will try the new settings as soon as the thunder storm is over with and will let you know. My fingers are sore from ripping out the first row twice!! You think I would learn!

Bev

Need to figure out how to change the mood indicator as I am all smiles now. Thank you Cassandra - the 175 and 15 works perfect. Now do you know the secret to Bottom line combined with the 40?

Thank you so much for the input. I am back to liking my Millie again.

Bev

Archived