Help

I pieced a quilt for my granddaughter and have quilted it and getting ready to put binding on. For some reason the quilt isn't lying flat. It has a few ripples in it, like its drawn too tight or something. I tried steaming it but its worse. I've never had this problem before.

Any suggestions?

I just checked the thread I used and it's 100% polyester. Toldi-lock overlocking thread. I've used it before without any trouble. My quilt has 2 large squares in the middle that I have on the point. Would that make any difference? They seemed to have a little fullness in them but when I put it on my rails you couldn't tell it anymore.

Hi Mary Lou--

Blocking requires wetting the quilt thoroughly and laying it to dry with it pinned to the required dimensions. You can block on sheets on the carpet with the pins sticking through the carpet. Or you can get a foam insulation board and cover with fabric to use--again pinning into the insulation to the required measurements. As soon as it is again washed, it will sproing back to the un-square measurements, so I would say let it be.

Archived