picture quilt

I am working on a picture quilt. It has 21 picture blocks and 21 plain fabric blocks. I have only done pantos so far. When doing the picture quilts what did you do when it came to the pictures. I have thought of using the clear thread but am still concerned about quilting over the pictures. The photo pictures are 5 by 7inches. Would you quilt around that? Is that too large an area to leave unquilted. I keep looking at the circle lord and QZ. My free hand leaves a lot to be desired. I only quilt for myself and my quilts are pretty plain jane type. I got the Hartley Fence with my Milli but have not had much success using it.

Hi Gail,

Since I have never quilted a picture quilt, I can't advise you from my experience, however, I wanted to say that I've been to Ely a few times and I just LOVE that little town! I even "daydreamed" about moving there and starting a LA quilting business in town, but the commute to Philadelphia to see my family (especially my two little grandchildren) is a bit far. LOL

Good luck with your quilt.

Sandy

Hi Gail--you may be surprised at how little a thin thread like Bottom Line in a neutral color shows on photos. Don't be afraid to try BL or So Fine. Invisible thread is a good choice for photo quilts and T-shirt quilts.

You can do loops in an overall design all across, and when you get to the photos avoid the faces--you can loop around the heads or avoid the faces altogether. That's what the viewer looks at any way--the faces.

If you have pictorials photos--no people--just stitch an even medium E2E all over. I agree that 5" x 7" is too big to be left unquilted.

Photo quilts are treasures--usually a history of a family or an event, so stitch on some texture and let the photos shine.

And as always, have fun! It will show through in your quilting!:)

Archived