Memorial Day Weekend.

I think I'm going to try to post an email I received from Quilts Of Valor Federation, with a You Tube link. I found it very interesting and heart melting at the same time. Hope this isn't against rules...

Praying everyone has an enjoyable Holiday weekend, safe, happy, healthy, and fun.. with kin/friends, or alone.

May 28, 2010

In the Real World, Everyday is Memorial Day

Those of you who are with the Quilts of Valor Foundation, know Memorial Day is everyday. For those who are not so keenly tuned into our warriors, it is fitting to have one day to stop and reflect on the real meaning of this day and what it truly represents.

For me, the following picture from the Korean War illustrates that no matter what time period, what war or conflict, those who stand in harm's way get touched by war in ways we can't see, measure or comprehend.

This timeless picture and the following quoteable remind me to pause, remember and be grateful.

The quoteable I have chosen is a recent email from the spouse of a returning soldier from the 82nd Airborne. She wrote asking if there was a POC (point of contact) because if there wasn't one, she wanted do it. Her description of why she wanted to be this POC compelled me to want to cover every single deployed servicemember.

My name is RB. I was wondering if you already have a POC (point of contact) for Fort Bragg at Womack Army Medical. If so, will you please pass along my contact information or his or hers to me. If not, I would like to volunteer to start this program for the 82nd. You see, the entire Division has just returned, including my husband, and many of them are in deep mourning. They lost a great many men last year, and the hurt is apparent in their eyes. All over the post, there are men in wheelchairs or on crutches. As the spouse of someone who came through the fire, I have a deep need to be involved and thank these men and women. I pray that there is some way I can help. I am also a quilter, and began my first QOV yesterday. Thank you for your time!

RB

A Fitting Interview for Memorial Day

Dorsey Winfree, Vietnam vet

Dorsey Winfree is a decorated Vietnam vet. He shares heartfelt memories from Vietnam. He lives with these memories/experiences on a daily basis. He also acknowledges these experiences helped shape him into the man he is today.

Click here for Dorsey Winfree's interview.

In Closing

Your involvement in covering our war wounded (touched by war) with your healing and comforting Quilts of Valor is part of their long road to recovery. We know Memorial Day is everyday. Pass the word along!

Still at war; still quilting.

Quilting to Honor & Comfort our Wounded,

Catherine Roberts

Executive Director/Founder QOV Foundation

cath@QOVF.org, (360) 202-8923

QOVF.org

You are very welcome, Anya.. I Often use something like this to pull me out of the self pity outhouse I've fallen into.. Makes me more determined to increase the number of Quilts I make for our Blessed GI's. Have to love them.

RitaR

Archived