Thanks Holly. I think I can do it now as the quilt is only attached to the bottom bar now. So I am loosening the nut taking the bar off and then the "screw thingy" needs to be turned and then the bar put back on and the bolt tightened..... Bet APQS just loves our descriptions!!!:D:D:D So is there a good way to know if you adjusted both side the same? hmmmm I just realized I don't know how to undo the bar??? Does the end screw off? I am not at my machine right now. shucks

Roxanne,

Despite the "technical jargon" :) you and Holly are using, you are going about it the right way.

Remove your roller brake first.

Then you will remove the roller. One end of the roller (usually on the left side of your roller when facing the table's front) will have a "shoulder bolt" screwed in to the roller. This bole passes through the "hyme joint" and a silver spacer and into the end of the roller. Once you've removed the shoulder bolt and spacer, have a helper assist you as you lift out the roller and disengage the opposite "pin end" from the other hyme joint. Set the roller aside.

Your leg wrench (that big black double-ended wrench that came with the machine) has one end that fits the nuts under the "hyme joints" for your roller.

Loosen those two locking nuts. Then simply rotate the hyme joints the same number of rotations, or measure as Holly did, and measure so that you screw them out the same distance. Allow enough clearance to accommodate your base as well as a fairly large quilt that could collect on the roller. Align the joints so that the openings point at each other across the table.

Tighten up the locking nuts, and reinsert the roller. Put the pin end into the end where your brake sits. On the other end, insert the shoulder bolt through the hyme joint. slip the silver spacer collar over the shoulder bolt ends as they protrude through the hyme joint. Then screw the shoulder bolt back into the roller. Finger tight is fine.

Mount the brake back on to the rollers, with the curved end on the quilt top roller and the flatter "U" end on the backing roller.

Let me know if we can help further!

Roxanne,

On the underside of the brake you'll find an adjustment screw. If you hold on to that round screw (you can use your hand, but if it's too hard to hold on to you can insert an allen wrench (3/16th) into the screw to hold it) and then spin the top handle clockwise, you'll "tighten" the pressure the brake handle applies when it's squeezed down. Easy peasy:).

Archived