How to turn the quilt?

Sorry to ask such a stupid question, but I can't wait until Friday to find out if possible. I have a quilt all quilted but the two side borders. I want to turn it and put the pantograph on them, but have no idea how. I'm very new, only have had my mille for 3 weeks, so if anyone answers make it for "dummies" please. Would appreciate any help I can get, the simpler the better. I left the quilt on the rollers since I didn't know what I was doing. Thanks!!

Hi Kelly

You will more then likely get various answers with differant techniques to go nabout this nbut since I see no answers at this point I will explain how I turn a quilt to quilt the side borders.

I Remove the quilt and trim the backing and batting to within 2" of the quilt top. (Do this only if you have written trimming permission from the piecer) Now turn the quilt clockwise from it's original setup and re-pin the quilt sandwich. You will only be using 2 of the 3 rollers. I pin the bottom of the quilt to the #3 roller and roll and then pin the top of the quilt sandwich to the take up roller (or roller #1) The nicely trimmed 2" of the backing is what is pinned to the rollers.

If you have any further questions just holler or call me and I will explain further.

206 878-4720

Thank you Sherry!!

I finished the quilt this afternoon, and I should probably not say this, but I think it came out quite well. I didn't have any puckers which I'm very proud of. I used the bow knot panto that I got from APQS and love it. It came out so well. I was only going to meander this quilt because it had so many pieces and I was scared to try a panto again. I used one on the first quilt, a baby quilt, and had a terrible time. I finally got smart and laid out the panto where I thought it would go and followed through with the laser before quilting. Boy was that easier than ripping out!! Thank you again. I am more pleased with this quilt than the couple I've sent away to be quilted (before I was thinking of getting a Mille!!) I feel like I am making progress now each time I turn the machine on and work with it. I can't believe how much of a difference it made to wax the rails. I would definately recommend that to all new owners right away, it is so much easier to move smoothly!!

Thanks!

Kelly, Thanks for asking the question about turning the quilt to do the borders. I to am a newbie, I have had my Libby for almost a month. I have my first customers quilt loaded right now and need to do the borders. I do have a question though, in one of the responses someone mentioned "waxing" what is this and how or why do I do this???? I can't wait for my class @APQS later this month.

Cindy

Hi Cindy

APQS recomends that you use Maquires paste wax on your rails approx. once each month. You can purchase this at most auto supply outlets. I apply a thin layer of wax at the end of the day and leave it to dry overnight. In the morning I just buff it off with a lint free cloth such as an old tee shirt. Approx. once a week I use a new dryer sheet along the rails which also helps to keep your rails smooth and clean.

hope this helps!

Archived