How to quilt a log cabin quilt - "All Sevens"

I was commissioned to make a log cabin quilt for a gift. I am using Eleanor's book as a guide, but instead of making the cut strips 2.5 inches wide, I will be making them cut at 2" wide. It will be a total of 16 blocks - 4 X 4. My customer likes the setting called "all sevens" so each block is positioned exactly the same way. Completed size will be about 54" square.

This will be for one of her three daughters. I will be making 2 more log cabin quilts for this lady's other 2 daughters. The fabrics will all be different, and probably the block settings, too.

I am already wondering how I am going to quilt this. I was just looking at some log cabin quilts, and at Orion's Star - which is beautiful!!! I love what Anne did with the quilting on that one, but I don't know what to do with blocks in the "all sevens" setting.

If anyone has any suggestions on quilting ideas, please let me know. If you have any pictures of an "all sevens" log cabin, please post it for me.

Thanks so much, everyone.

Heidi,

The fabrics are sort of country style. One side will be 3 light blues and the other side will be 3 darker blues (gray toned blue). The narrow inner border will be green - like a gray toned, not yellowish toned, medium shade of celery-olive green. The center is a Thimbleberries print with the blues and the greens. The fabric matches, but overall, I'm not sure of the center fabric. But, by the time we finished picking out the 6 "log" fabrics, we were getting brain dead - 2 1/2 hours! (I met my customer at my LQS to pick out the fabrics. I wanted to guide her, but I also wanted the LQS to know I was swinging business their way, as I meet lots of my customers there.) The outside border is a very tiny blue print with a bit of the green color in it. The back is a pale blue flannel with small flowers on it. The back is nice, but in my opinion, does not match the top, but she loved it.

The 3 quilts will be for her 3 daughters who are pregnant. One due in December, one in March and the 3rd in April. The idea is not to make a "baby" quilt, but to make one they can use and finally take to college with them.. This is what she did for her daughters, and they did take them with them to college. I think this is such a sweet idea.

We know one baby will be a girl. but we don't know about the other two babies. She is hoping I can make this "boy" quilt and one of the girl quilst by the week before Christmas when the first one is due. This way, she will be ready for either sex when the first one is born. She would like the baby to be brought home from the hospital in the quilt.

So, with one on my frame, another quilt ahead of this one (a custom quilt), I will be busy. ;)

Sandra what a beautiful thing for her to do and wow 3 grand babies in 5 months! LOL they will be having some fun. I have no doubt you will make them beautiful! Just have fun! Remember you can use cc's to travel (I always forget that) and then you won't have as many stops and starts! Is this the "boy" quilt or the "girl" quilt? I wasn't sure because of the flowers on the backer. I would make the boy quilt with more geometric type designs and the girl quilt with feathers and swirls. I hope you get lots of business!

Thanks, Heidi. This is supposed to be a boy quilt, but I think it ill look more like a girl quilt. After I piece the top I will e-mail her a few pictures and see if she has any thoughts about it being for a girl or boy when she can actually see the almost finished product. I can then use that for some quilting clues. I love the feather idea, as I love feathers, but it might be too feminine for boy.

I hope it leads to more business. :)

It's so great that you have options with these three quilts.

For a uni-sex design for that unknown baby, start in the center square with a spiral, travel to the adjacent single square and stitch a loop. Turn the corner into the first rectangle and stitch one-two loops. Follow the spiral in the piecing to the next rectangles and one-two loops there. The next rectangle gets three loops. Follow the plan? You are stitching continuous loops from the center out following the logs. End at the end of the last rectangle with another spiral. Very cute, very fast, adds lots of texture, and use a variegated so the stitching shows a bit. I will draw it out and try to post a photo. This is a fairly standard design I have seen lots of places and it stitches out beautifully.

Archived