First Ad

Guest Linda S

Guest Linda S

I've just placed my first ad for my business. It will appear in the program of the Quilt Show of the local Guild, which will be held October 2-3. I had planned on opening my doors to my business when I return from Innovations, so the timing seemed perfect. I think I'm ready. I'm a bundle of nerves, but I think I'm ready. I still have a month to PPP. I got the cutest little wall hanging from my sisters for my birthday, which I get to quilt. I have two baby quilts to make which I get to quilt before then, so there's more practice. I'm still nervous though. Did you all have a serious case of butterflies?

Linda

I still get butterflies (in a nice sort of way) every time I put a client's quilt on my LA. It is a big responsibility and hopefully the finished product will be a precious piece of history for the recipient. I always feel honored to be a part of that history and that's what keeps me on my toes to do my best work. Many years ago a mentor of mine told me that butterflies are a sign that you take the task at hand seriously. The goal is not to get rid of the butterflies, but to train them to fly in unison.

Guest Linda S

Thank you Jean! That makes me feel better. I've got a few more of my own to work on in the meanwhile and I'm practicing all sorts of techniques (ruler, stencils, panto, freehand), so I'm beginning to feel a bit more confident. I just get that flustery feeling when I think about taking someone else's quilt. I think part of it is I've been reading a lot of horror stories lately about T-shirt quilts, and I know I have at least two of them to do in October! I just hope they have stabilized them sufficiently.

Linda

I actually don't get butterflies any more but I hadn't even noticed til I started thinking about it. I believe just a year ago, I still had butterflies. I get really excited about almost every quilt I do but I am not anxious any more. I do still get butterflies when I hand the quilt to the client or when I see an e-mail that they've received it.

Linda (and other newbies), when you have those first few meetings with clients, don't let those butterflies show. Appear cool, calm and collected . . very sure of yourself. Your confidence will make them have confidence in you.

I still can't look at a quilt and give ideas on the spot. I have to look at it for several days before all the ideas come together in my head. Maybe I'm slow!:(

So, I tell everyone I will get back with them in a few days and I never give ideas at the same time I take in a quilt. If you're able to do that, it gives you a day or so to get more confidence cuz you might have to use every bit of it when you say "Hi, I'm Linda" to that first client!!

Just remember . . we've all gone through that first customer meeting and we all had the butterflies. (and, we all survived!)

Guest Linda S

Oh dear! I'll have to get the mirror out and practice my poker face! :P Actually, I think I might be able to handle the meeting. I have lots of business meetings every day, so it would be okay. I just don't know how they'll feel about their shaky quilter! I tend to shake when I get nervous -- just a hereditary thing. Heck, I shake when I'm not nervous, but that doesn't mean I can't quilt! I guess that just means there's another sample I need to make!

Linda

I call those butterflies.. anxiety attacks..

I can get excited about getting a new quilt.. but a new customer gives me anxiety attacks... I have had these since I can remember... something new happeneing in my life.. crawly.. horrid I think it was the worms before butterflies hatch....teeth hurt... couldnt consentrate...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

but they are getting better...

Boy am I glad that I am not the only one who has to think on a quilt...

Advise for the t-shirts.. if the tops arent done yet... suggest how they be done.

smile.

LindaSusie

Archived