100% Nylon - clear thread

Hi!

Yes, I've used nylon thread on several quilts. It is very durable! There are some people that won't use it, but I've used it on children's quilts(my own!) that have been washed and dried probably once a week for a few years and the nylon has held. Diane Gaudynski( Guide to Machine Quilting) claims to have several quilts that are 15 years old or so that have nylon thread in them and they are fine.

I have some customers that have nylon in their quilts from several years ago and they all claim that the nylon has held up under lots of stress. I don't hesitate to use it, but I always ask the customer first.

Hi Happymom--

My favorite "invisible thread" is Mono Poly by Superior. It isn't nylon--it is a spun polyester and is soft. It doesn't have that stickery feel you get with cut ends of the nylon. I purchased a spool (not a cone) and it seems to never end. I did a huge top with 1700 yards of Bottom Line prewound bobbins and didn't make a dent in this spool. Give it a try if you see it somewhere.

BTW I have a huge (I mean HUGE) cone of nylon thread I purchased as an initial thread to start my business and haven't touched it. (It came with a clear plastic dome as a cover and it reminds me of a 2 liter pop bottle!) I will try to use it up on some Guild charity tops for kids. The nylon should work fine for you--there is enough evidence from experts that it is good stuff. Have fun!

Linda Rech

Counting the days to Innovations!

I like the YLI nylon thread over the superior nylon thread. I have less trouble with breaking thread when quilting. I have used the YLI on a 60 x 80 quilt with no problem and a variety of babyquilts. I have not tried the clear poly, but would love to one of these days. Make sure you loosen up your top tension. You may have to thread through one less tension guide.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Guest Linda S

Nylon will melt with an iron and eventually will get hard and crack if you continually put it in the dryer. Much better to use one of the clear poly threads. I really like the Superior MonoPoly. I've never had problems with it breaking, and I use it a LOT!

Linda

Archived