Needle Is not Sraight to Hopper Food

My needle has never been positioned straight in the middle of the hopper foot. I saw it last year when I first got my machine but could see that there was nothing I could do about it. I've used it like that but yesterday I met and was talking to another Milli user and I looked at hers, which is 5 years old, and hers was lined up very straight. When I explained to her that mine was not she said that anytime I did ruler work it wouldn't come out evenly because of that. And I realized she is right and that happened awhile ago when I tried to do cross hatching. No matter how careful I was it kept getting off. I finally got so tired of it I just finished it but it didn't look good. It was a practice quilt so it was ok.

Anyway, what should I do?

Tamara

Tamara,

Mine was off too when I got the machine. You can adjust the hopping foot to get the needle centered. I'm not sure if I can explain it correctly without looking at the manual, but I'll try.

On the right side of the machine, just above the thread pigtail there is a little hole. You stick a flat head srewdriver in the slot, find the screw that loosens the hopping foot. It helps to shine a flashlight in there. First I put my foot all the way down and then put business cards underneath it so that I wouldn't loose the proper height, of the hopping foot, when I loosened the screw. After it is loose, you can then turn the foot to get the needle in the center, then just re-tighten the screw.

Hope this makes sense.

Patty

Thank you Patty.

It does make sense and I will try that. But when I first got the machine my husband and I thought I should lower the hopper and we followed those directions and could not get the screw to budge. But I will try taking the left cover off to put some light in there, maybe then I can get it.

thank you, I'll let you know if I can get it straight.:)

Tamara:

Turn the flywheel until the hopping foot is at it lowest point. Depending on the age of your machine this may be easy or not so easy. On the older machines the screw does not line up exactly behind the hole in the side plate (this issue has been addressed in the later model machines). It take a sharp screwdriver with a thin blade I think a 5/16. Loosen the screw, the foot will now be so you can turn and move it up and down. Place a business card between the hopping foot and the throat plate (this is the correct spacing). Rotate the foot until you needle is in the middle. Tighten the screw and you are home free. If you can not get the screw loose you may have to remove the right side plate.

John

Okay, after much work and calling my brother to come and help us, we got it done. The screw is over to the right of the hole and makes it extremely difficult to loosen it. We did try to take the cover off on the right side but couldn't figure it out. However, my brother was able to get it loosened and we straightened the hopper. I have not yet tried sewing again but will soon.

Thank you Patty and John for your quick answers to my problem. I really appreciate it.

If you are going to Innovations, I may see you there. I will be attending classes on Wednesday and am very excited!! :D

Archived