when to replace wheels???

Does anyone know the expected life of the wheels on the head and sled under normal usage conditions? Today as I was finishing a lap size top with a panto design I was getting quite a bit of "drag" as I was working toward the end of the table-first row of dbl row panto...when I did the upper row, smooth sailing......

Tomorrow, I will sit down and clean them well with the alcohol and q-tip, but I was just wondering if there is a lifespan for these little puppies......

Geri: Never thought much about the life expectancy of the wheels. I've had my machine for almost 2 years and I it gets a lot of use. Mine seem ok. I do clean the wheels with alcohol at least once a week and wax my rails with Renaissance wax (which I like better than the Maquires) usually twice a week. I love the feel of the fresh waxed rails!

Hopefully some of the APQS pros will let us know about the wheels. I have an extra set here but don't want to use them until necessary.

Judy L.

Hi Geri,

I'm still working on the original wheels on my machine. I work 8-10 hrs. per day on my machine 5 days a week. I got the machine in May of '94. Only thing I do with them is clean them every month or so, or when I see/feel a problem. I too should have a spare on hand because with a broken wheel, there won't be much quilting done. Grumpy

Hi all,

Well, the life of the wheels really depend on the use, operator, quilting conditions ect... Be sure, like you said, to keep them clean.. Also over time they can come loose underneath... make sure to check the gold bolt under the brown wheel and make sure it is snug, or you will get some play in the wheels causing it to drag..

I would recommend that you always keep a couple spare wheels on hand.

Let me know if you need help adjusting your wheels. This can be a very frustrating thing, when the carraige or the machine won't roll smooth. however these are easy adjustments to make, once you know how.. It will be worth your time to learn how.

I would be happy to teach anyone just give me a call or e-mail me.

1-800-426-7233 ext.6

churst@apqs.com

Thanks

Connie

Service Manager/ Tech.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, DH and I "tried" to adjust wheels over the weekend and by the time we were finished, it was like dragging a dead body, so this morning-Mon., I called Connie at apqs......since I have the "old"carriage the recommendation was to get the new one, which I would have ordered, and maybe will have to eventually, but while waiting for her to call back my DH realized the the HF has the same wheels, so, we switched the two controlling ones with the ones on the carriage and it worked beautifully-able to finish the quilt on the machine in record time!!!!! I will however, think about that new carriage.....will check it out in Springfield.....

• 1 year later...

What is the 'HF' ?

Just bought a used machine, got it set up, and it is a bear to move it in any kind of curve. Hubby has been adjusting, cleaning and waxing. We have found that it hangs more where the bolts are on the table. We adjusted to fit what seems to be the widest part of the table.

The instruction book I have looks like a copy of a copy of copy, and you can't tell what any of the picutres are. The instructions say "adjust it" well duh. .. .

Getting very frustrated.

Hi Betty,

It sounds to me like you need to make a wheel adjustment at the front of the carraige. The narrow part of the off-set bolt should be at about 7-8p.m. on both sides. If that does not take care of the problem, you may need to tighten the cross tubes in the table. They may be to wide causing the machine to bind.

If you have any questions you can give me a call!

Good Luck!

I know you will enjoy your machine, once we get it tweaked just right!

Connie

APQS Service Mgr

800-426-7233 ext. 6

Archived