Warped Bobbins

It would appear that I managed to over fill a couple of my bobbins...and this caused the outer rim of the bobbin to expand, or warp. :( I like Bottom Line in the bobbin, so I will continue to wind my own frequently, but I guess I will be more attentive to my speed.

My bobbin winder is either off or going very fast...is this what causes the problem, or is it the tension on the thread as it winds? I have a queen size to do this weekend, so I will be winding bobbins sooner or later!! If it tension problem, I can loosen it , and just hand guide to keep it on track...if it is speed, I guess I need to look into some electronic gizmo to slow down the current to the motor, thereby slowing the motor?? Sounds like something for DH to do!!

I wasn't all that surprised to hear about expanding bobbins...altho metal kinda was a surprise....a few years ago I was winding nylon filament thread on plastic bobbins with my Viking...midway through the third bobbin, the first one that was just sitting next to the machine went "POP" and the top flew off...the thread just expanded all over the place. While I was still staring down at that mess, the second one did the same. I honestly thought it was faulty ...or that bobbins twisted open. Wrong on both counts. I was advised to slow down . Haven't had anymore "blow" on me!! :o

So, did I just answer my own question, and I need to slow the bobbin winder motor down??

Cheryl

Cheryl,

Tonight I was using Bottom Line and Superior Metallic varigated thread. I wound the bobbin by skipping the tension guides. I just sort of "steered" it back and forth with my fingers to get it to fill/wind the bobbin evenly. I filled the bobbin nearly full and had no problems. I was very surprised that I had no breakage! I played with the top tension to see where the breaking point was. I couldn't break the thread no matter what I tried. I did just a little tweak on the top tension to get a nice smooth,even stitch on top and bottom. I am going to try a different type of thread tomorrow in the bobbin to try to see if I just happened upon a luck combination or if it just the wonderful properties of the metallic thread itself.

Nancy

Cheryl: The only time I ever had problems with the bobbin warping was when I decided the BL needed a bit of extra tension and I cranked it up on the bobbin winder AND I held it with my fingers as it went through. I won't do that again!

I've wound a whole bunch of BL bobbins since then and have had no problems.

Archived