Creating a Pattern Idea Book

Quiltingbykc,

I would love to give you some ideas, but since I'm just trying to figure out what I'm doing I wouldn't be any help.

Maybe a book for rookies like me. I don't know a thing, I'm trying to lear as I go. Maybe a book of designs that are full proff. Kinda like Longarming for DUMMIES. :D :D

That is the kind of book I would need. Good luck and I hope you can get some replies for your dook.

Donna

Norece

A little of both and some that would already be in the book that would be easy to accomplish. Unlike the feathers that I am having such a hard time with.Trying to have mine look remotely like a feather is very hard for me.

I'm talking about something very simple where a person wouldn't get disapointed with their results.

Something easy you could start out practicing that would lead us into the harder designs. This would be for the person who doesn't even know how to sew.

And I think that the patterns should be able to be removable and somehow put a pocket in there to keep them in for safe keeping with the instructions.

I sorry I'm not very good at explaining things.

Remember this is just a sugestion; you don't have to take it into conseridation. Just putting my 2 cents n.

Thank you for asking!!!!!!!

:):):)

Donna

Kathleen,

The Donna Dewberry line at Michaels (one stroke painting) offers something similiar to what Norece mentioned. You can buy a laminated sheet of her one stroke designs (rose buds etc.) and then cover it with a see through piece of paper that has a very glossy surface to practice your brush stroke right on top of the pre-painted version. Its a really great way to learn the motion you need to make with your hand and the brush, and maybe an interesting approach to "training the brain" to learn a new free motion design as well.

Kathy

One of my best purchases has been Darlene Epps little pocket guides. There is a book for meanders, fills/textures, and borders. As I see an idea somewhere I draw it in a blank page or back of a page in the proper book. These are small not full size but great for jumpstarting the brain some days. I like that they are small and can be open on the quilt as you work. A page protector makes a nice portable wipe off "board" for practicing the design or for laying designs over the the quilt itself to see what it looks like. Another great guide is Linda Mae Diny's book Circular Quilting. It has plastic pages between the design pages used to trace or draw with wipe off marker. First she has you trace the design then flip to the next page and just draw the design using the guidelines only. She might have one that doesn't focus on just cirular designs. You could make something like either of these yourself but save the time, buy one and add to it. I also have a compostion book I got from office supply store that has graph paper in it and put ideas I see in there just as I see them. There isn't the categories like Darlene's books but another way to put ideas in one easy to look at place.

Archived