Question about the hopping foot for Mellie

I did a search about this but couldn't find the exact answer I was looking for.

I have a used Millennium and it came with the old foot with the white plastic snap on deal for using with templates and rulers. I went to Donita Reeve's site to look at her items and it has guides for two different size feet: 1/2" and 3/4". What size is my foot (including the snap on deal) and what size is the new foot? I am planning on ordering the current foot but I'm afraid to order any of the rulers and templates if I'm going to be changing the foot on my machine. Is there another after market foot that any of you like better than the APQS?

I am also thinking about ordering the Horizontal Spool Holder. Do any of you have a view one way or another on this item? Are there any other items you can't live with out? My machine came with the Hartley Fence and the Base Expander. I just ordered the soft mount but my husband is out of the country (Taiwan) so he isn't here to put it on (and I admit I don't want to do it myself :P). Although when I received it, one of the wheels were damaged on the wheel assembly. I emailed them friday to see how to handle an exchange but haven't heard back from them yet. I'm not in too much of a hurry because, as I said, my husband is out of the country but I think I'm going to call them tomorrow.

Thanks so much,

Julie

Hi Julie

Congrats on your new Millie. I believe all apqs now come with a standard 1/2 inch hopping foot. I do not know about older models.

Hopefully A rep will respond soon . I also have the Milli and love it. I would call about the wheels. I'm sure they will be glad to get the parts shipped you need.

I have the horizontal Spool Holder and Love it. It saves alot of trips to the back of the machine when I am freehanding and doing alot of thread changes. I think is a must have. You'll like using it. I think Myrna has them on her website at www.aquilterschoice.com with good photos of it and on her webshots to see as well.

Did you recieve your rulers that came with the base expander? I use mine all the time. I like them. Also the small Dainty Ditcher is awesome in my book. Very small and I think it makes a job much easier. Also I use the small oval that came with a set of ovals. I really never use the big circle templates or large rulers I have purchased to tell you the truth. Maybe someday. They were expensive and they are heavy to use. I think so anyway.

A little trick I learned not long ago from Sherry is that you can put the Heavy Sticky fusible(can't remember the name) on the rulers to keep them from sliding and it works like a charm and you can still see thru your rulers. Easy to clean up with alcohol and put on again. Mine has lasted forever and I use it everyday. I purchased the Hartley with my machine but with the CQ don't get to use it but I really did like it. Practice practice .

Good luck

Thank you Grammie for your response. I've been looking into buying one for well over a year. Originally looking at the Gammill (even went out to Linda Taylor's as she is in the Dallas area). Then decided on an APQS because of a wonderful woman named Connie Keller at Quilt Country who happens to be an APQS rep. I've known her before she became a rep and she is a wonderful person. Was planning on buying a new one but couldn't refuse the price of the used one. I was a little afriad to tell Connie I went with a used one, but she was wonderful about it. I figured what ever I had to put into it to make it run like brand new still wouldn't even come close to paying the price for a new one. So now I have extra money for rulers and stuff. :P

The lady I bought the machine from was in the process of moving so she couldn't find the rulers that go with the base expander or any of the accessories that she got with the Hartley fence. She said she will send them to me after she gets all moved in and can look through her boxes. If she can't find the rulers for the base expander I wonder if there are any other rulers anyone would recommend besides the ones that came with the expander or if I should buy the ones that came with it?

Thanks for the trick of using the sticky stuff on the back of rulers. ;)

Julie

Are you going to the Houston Quilt Show? They will have lots of goodies to see while your there.

I have some of the Gadget girl rulers and I really like them.

Remember, that Judy L made hers using wood from the Hardware store. I think they are like trim molding cut to size. She loves them.

She shows a pic somewhere in the site. I wish I had thought of it. Save you some money until you know exactly what you want. Check webshots for Sunshine quilts. I think she gives directions there. Just a thought to get you by for only a few bucks. Hey if it works you can more THREAD . lolol

PS. If you ever need any help just give me a call. With a rep near by you may not need it.

My husband is in Kansas working and we meet outside of Dallas when our weekends or time is short. Linda has a nice training facility in Melissa. I keep thinking I might go someday but you know I really want to train on my machine and only my machine. I learn this when I went to Kansas this year. PS. You should consider going this next year. It is alot of fun. I plan on going again but doing things just a tad different. The Sheraton is where you should stay as it is walking distance ( Connected to Convention Center).

Yes I am planning on going to Houston but my husband may be out of town AGAIN that weekend. I may just go with my Mom. I'm not one for going anywhere by myself, I'm chicken like that. I went last year with my husband and my MOM (and another friend of hers). It was wonderful, the quilts there were so beautiful.

Thank you for all your advice and I just may take you up on your offer of assistance someday. You may regret you offered. ;)

Julie

Archived