finishing an antique quilt top

I suggest you contact a textile conservator for advice if you want to retain the value. If it does not now have a backer, adding one will be difficult since the layers will need to be somehow connected and that will affect the front in a major way. If there was a backer and you want to repair/replace it yourself, do some research in the internet as to the best way to achieve this. Least invasive and closest to the original would be best, of course.

The other side of the story would be to fix it so it can be used and enjoyed--in whatever way works for your skills and situation. Perhaps don't think about the value--very subjective anyway--and realize the enjoyment you get from viewing and touching this restored quilt more than makes up for any loss in value.

I imagine your decision will be to either sacrifice the monetary value for the ability to use or hang it, or keep the integrity of the original without repair or addition and somehow display it.

Sorry--I'm not much help....

Well, it will have to be hand sewn, I imagine, it you want to hold value. However, I believe the rules say that when you add today's fabrics and threads and quilting (if it is machine done) then the quilt is on longer 100 years old but the date it the date you finish it. I too have traveled this path as I have 2 tops that my grandmother pieced and have fought the urge to quilt them. After I see yours, I may make the leap!

If you want to be able to resell it with its value intact then I think you should do like Linda suggested and contact as appraiser. but if you just want to finish it so you can enjoy it then just do it! If it a family quilt I would want it done so I could enjoy it. HTH

Thanks for the comments. I should say that I only want to add the backing to protect it and maintain the integrity of the quilt. I don't look forward to hand sewing the back to it, but that may be the best way. 'Haven't decided if I will do anything yet. Thanks again.

Archived