How do you figure pricing for quilting services?

I think it's important to know what's going on in your area for pricing. It seems pretty low to me, don't undersell your skills. People will want a bargain - who doesn't. But if you have a business, you will want to set a price and keep it. Maybe you don't want just everyone coming to your door, but the great piecers; it will weed out those who don't really care what you do on their quilt, just anything will do. My minimum price is $45 and I charge $.0125 sq inch for meandering and pantos. If I have to switch threads or do separate borders the price goes up from there. Stand your ground and think "professional quilter"! Best of luck!

Hi Fabcolektor:)

If you get $40.00 for a 39x48 quilt then you are getting approx. 2.16 cents per sq. inch, great price, well for my area anyway , depending on how small your meandering is. If it's very small (mico) then you could charge more. Where I live most LAer's get around 1.5 cents per sq. inch. & I haven't seen a min. (or flat fee) yet, but I plan to have a min. of around $30.00 as soon as I get this business off the ground. Baby quilts & small wall hangings are as much work as larger quilts.

A baby quilt that measures 35x 45 priced at 1.5 per sq. inch comes to $23.63 not enough for 3 or 4 hrs. of work..... even at 2 cents a sq. inch it only comes to $31.50 that's only $10.00 an hr. I could get that working for someone else & not pay the overhead.

Anyway Sharon is right, prices very depending on where you live, if you are happy to get what ever you are charging, stay with it.;)

Gerry...

I really think it's good to have a minimum charge, no matter the size. Mine is $35 but am thinking of raising it to $40. You've got to figure that no matter the size, they all have to take the time to be loaded onto the machine.

I have had no one comment about the minimum charge...it's right in my brochure.

By the way....are you close to Chiliwack...saw a vendor at a show this weekend from there...they were great!!!

Hay Sandra:) You live very near Sue Patten, you lucky duck, she's a great quilter (Diva) & a funny gal, took a couple of classes from her in Sept. Have you had the pleasure ? I know she's super busy, & always traveling.

I live in Duncan, that's on Vancouver Island, half way between Victoria & Nanimo. Chiliwack isn't far in miles (or kilomiters), but by the time you drive an hour to take a ferry (ferry ride 2 hr's) & drive another 2 hr's to get to Chilliwack, round trip 10 hr's :(not includeing shopping time.;)

Was the Vendor Darlene Epp, she just moved to Chiliwack, Or maybe Linda (her name on this forum is Quiltedcat) from Abbotsford? Linda & her daughter bought out Darlene's Co. WWW.Longarm Supplies.com a short time ago. I talked to Linda on the phone the other day, & I ordered my Bace Extender from her, nice & very helpful, Linda is the person I'll be going to for all my LAing needs.:)

Archived