Need help, thread caught around handwheel

Last night, I oiled the bobbin area and let the machine the machine run about 30 seconds (Freedom SR). Today, when I go to use the machine, I noticed that the thread is wound all around the handwheel. Is there any way to take the front off to get all of the thread out? I tried, but a couple of the screws don't want to come out. I keep turning the handwheel by hand and it's taking forever, there must be several hundred yards wrapped around it. I wish I had unthreaded the darn machine. I guess I won't make that mistake again! I'm so frustrated! :mad:

Hi Laura

You poor thing - I've done that twice! You'd think I would have learned after the first time! When you get this all sorted out, order a thumbwheel cover from APQS - its not very expensive for the time it saves you.

You will need to get a good quality screwdriver of the right size - I think its a No.3. Its very important to have good quality/fit tools or in the case of the screws you will easily burr them. You do need to take of the front panel and then the one on the opposite side to the tension control.

When you get those covers off you will need to keep moving the thumbwheel to release the thread. You really do need to get those covers off because you won't know if you have all the thread out and if there is thread jammed in there it can affect your needle positioner function.

Good luck.

Sue in Australia

Laura,

Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt. This was on my

first Ultimate I and before I got the wheel cover. It was

white thread. My DH and I took turns turning the wheel

while the other one gently pulled the thread. We thought

we got it all out.

Then a few weeks later, I was replacing my hopping foot and

there was a big wad of beige thread when I opened the

side of the head. Beige? The oil that I had been faithfully

putting into my machine was sucked up by that thread. I

was very thankful that it wasn't worse.

But once I got that head opened, I very c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y

cut the thread loose and pulled it out. It looked like a

bird's nest. Yuck. Then you just button it back up. Much

faster and easier on the thumbs.

Flywheel cover. It's a must have.

http://www.apqs.com/hflywheel.htm

Thanks for the info Sue. I did end up getting the covers off however, I broke a part and stripped 2 screws in the process. Haven't even had it a week and I'm already breaking things. I guess next time, I'll know better. The screws were in there so tight!

Thanks again!

Archived