Why is it?

Guest Linda S

Guest Linda S

The fabric (for the most part) is Martinique, which is produced by Moda, 3 Sisters are the designers. The blocks from the quilt are from Kim Brackett's "Scrap Basket Surprises" but I made the quilt bigger and added my own type of borders instead of the plain borders she had on it. I have a layer of Hobb's Poly on the bottom and a layer of Hobb's Tuscany Wool on the top. All Glide thread. Unlike my usual style, I decided to use the same color thread top and bottom and now wish I hadn't. The back is the same reddish color as the the thin borders. Every stitch shows. The tension is great thanks to my Magna Glide bobbins, but there's a lot of thread build up where the design intersects with itself a million times over. I'm just not used to that thready look.

Thanks for the details, Linda. Good luck in the shows. Be sure to let us know how you make out. I would also love to see more pictures of it when it's off the frame, or when it is hanging in a show.

I am going to a large show in Oaks, PA in September and I hope the Fil-Tec folks are there. I want to get some of the bobbins you are using and look at their threads. I have a few cones of Glide thread, but none of the Magna Glide bobbins. I am looking forward to trying them.

Of course, I also have my list for the Superior booth - I sure hope they are there, too.

I really like the quilting design. It really adds a lot to the quilt. Also like the colors. The two layers of batting really gives it dimension. That is one thing I have found out reading the forum. I would never have thought to use 2 layers of batting. So much to learn. Looking forward to seeing a picture of finished quilt. I have thought about the M&M wheels it sounds like they do make a difference.

Guest Linda S

Sharon - I'm sure you do a beautiful job. Do share. We all had to start somewhere. Also -- this one isn't off the frame yet, and I just had to frog a bunch. Hazard of having to roll back and forth due to the SID and the design. I got a tuck in the back on one of the thin borders, and I could not leave it there -- it had to come out. So, school's out on whether it will make it to show or not. It might become a dog blankie at this point! ;)

Archived