me again...another question

Thanks for advice on Sunbonnet Sue....the only thing is that she brought the quilt and it is not Sue but embroidered snowflakes, wreaths and other assorted Christmas icons....all cross stitched in red on white ..nine blocks bordered with red and white pieced borders....total 87 inch square. So now my question is how do you treat cross stitched blocks!!??? The stars have space inside the points and then a circle of stitches and then an empty space in the center. The snowflakes have no space that can be defined.....oh I don't know what to do!!!

That's pretty Linda. I don't think I would like stitching through my embroidery though. I would probaly do an outline around it and a do a fill stitch of some sort. If it's a large space then I would figure out a way to get a couple of lines going through it without disturbing the embroidery. It's just my opinion, but I think you lose the embroidery design and only see the quilt lines when you sew through it. Now, having said that, I have seen quilts with stitching on the embroidery and it looks good. I guess I would ask the owner of the quilt how she feels about having quilting across the design and what is she willing to pay to have what she wants.

I am thinking that I will not do this quilt. I am afraid that the cross stitch threads will get caught up in the needle because it is a big stitch....once caught.....a mess. I think that there is no way to quilt around the icons and not do something within them. At first I thougt it would be a nice challenge but now see it as a possible nightmare....lol

I used to outline and go around the embroidery. It is a royal pain in the butt. And, it takes FOREVER. If the embroidery is loose, you can put Glad Press and Seal over it to hold it down while you cross hatch it, then pull it off later. Really if you look at this up close (wish a had a close-up picture) you barely notice the cross-hatch going through the stitches.

Archived