The Houston Quilt Show

OK....I have heard about this show for several years. Never figured I would ever go. I guess mostly because I always thought it was just for professionals. Can someone explain exactly what goes on there.

I have an aunt that lives in McAllen, TX who I am flying down (from SD) to see next Wednesday. Of course I go right through Houston. Never even dawned on me to plan the trip so that I could spend a couple days in Houston. But then I never really thought there would be anything there for me. But now after hearing everyone talk about it, maybe I should check it out next year when I go visit her again.

How do you get information about the show regarding classes, etc? How much lead time do you need for hotel reservations? Is it something that a non-professional would get anything out of?

Thanks much.

Hi Grammy D!

EVERYONE gets something out of the Houston show! Market is the the first week, and that's for businesses. But the Festival is the second week! WOO HOO! Wall to wall quilts, fabric, notions, patterns, knickknacks and paddywhacks! So much eye candy you'll just overdose! This is a Festival for quilters, sewers, fabricholics, button & bead & silk ribbon embroidery freaks. If you use a needle in any way shape form or fashion it's the place to be! Classes are great, huge variety. Google: Ouilts, Inc, or Houston International Quilt Festival. I've gone every year since about 1983 and am so blessed to live in the Houston area so it's not a hassle to go! Just can't say enough about it. Catalogs for classes start showing up on the website around July I think, and if you wait till September to try to sign up for classes you may not get everything you wanted so start no later than August.

Just go0t back from my second trip to the Festival this year. This was the yearly all day event a friend of mine have been making for the past 15+ years. Got to meet Myrna, Cheryl, & Sue and the Houston Rep Mike. I met Cheryl and Mark Wednesday night when I was there. I've made up my mind to get a Millie with Compuquilter, knew the minute I touched it! So now I can get really focused & by this time next year I'll be ready to get it! Want to say a huge Thank you to Cheryl & Mark for each taking time to go over the Compuquilter and the machines with me. I'm just soooo impressed!

Last post on the Houston Show! Karen McTavish's class was wonderful! Sooo much information and inspiration! Can't wait to try her technique, glad to hear it's good for handquilting also, since I'm still doing that for awhile yet.:( OMG! I just put a frowny face in referrrence to handquilting! I'm a goner...:D

I bought Karen's book, thanks for signing it, Karen! I pluggged in the DVD as soon as I got home yesterday! I woke up at 4:30 this morning and started on the book! Karen, you have me thinking....Mctavishing and 30's fabrics, I have a quilt I've started for my grandaughter, nine patch and appliqued traditional shaped hearts with a vine and hearts border. I've been trying the "think outside the box" on what to do in the background to keep it from being boring even though I used all the brights and odd prints from the 30's. I'm doing a swirly heart in the center of the appliqued hearts and I've named it "Wild at Heart". So now I'm going to do some practicing with the McTavishing to see if I can't come up with something that would fit here. Maybe have the McTaviching "bleed" over into the nine patch? The blocks are about 6" and staggered ninepatch and hearts. hmmmm...thinking and staring at the quilt....it's a really big quilt, too!

Kenna, your ideas sound great and I would love to see a picture of the quilt. It sounds beautiful I too took a class from Karen at (name removed)'s. Isn't she just great? I am afraid my McTavishing will never look like hers but then it will be uniquely mine, right? Would love to see your swirly heart

Archived