Lecture - Preparing your quilt for the longarmer

I made out a sheet that explained all this and why things were important when I first started my business. I occasionally sent it out in my newsletter to help people becuase like I tell them I'm not perfect myself and I'm still learning. Good luck with your talk - wish my guild would ask me to do something like this!

Roseann, maybe you could talk to your guild's President, or the person who plans the speakers. I really think it is a good topic for all quilters, not just the ones who will be sending their quilts to a longarmer. I plan to pool everyone's information and put it together on a handout for the members. Even when I have several different answers for the same question, such as how many extra inches of backing and batting does the LA quilter need? I have gotten replys from 3 to 8 inches on all 4 sides. I plan to use that as an example to say, yes, we need extra fabric in order to pin and clamp on our machines, but you need to ask "your" longarm quilter what he or she wants, since it may be different from person to person. I want to hand out info on attaching borders, on squaring backings, on preventing "D" cups, etc. I hope it will be information everyone can benefit from, even if they only take 1 idea with them. I'm lloking forward to doing this.

Archived