Need help raising hopping foot

I have never adjusted the position of the hopping foot on my Millie before, but today I am afraid that is exactly what I must do in order to be able to quilt a customer's quilt.

The squares are made from very thick fabric from Guatemala, some of which are very heavily machine embroidered.

Where the seams intersect, the fabric must be close to 1/4 of an inch thick. I know my hopping foot is going to jam whenever I run into one of these intersections, so I think I need to raise my hopping foot.

Can someone please walk me through this?

Thank you for your kind assistance.

Marg

Thanks Myrna for your suggestion about the larger needle and going slower. The largest size needle I have is a Gros Beckert (gold colored needle) in a size 18. The variegated thread is a 35 weight, so I think it should work. Believe me, I will be going slowly since I don't want to wreck my machine.

I have tried stitching through some old jeans where the pocket area and yoke are on the back of the jeans, and it seems to be working okay. Wish me luck!

Marg

Thank you so much for all the suggestions. I finished quilting after raising the hopping foot height to 5 business cards from 2 business cards, and there were a few spots where I had to avoid the very thickest seam intersections, but for the most part, my machine was able to handle this challenge. I used the largest size needle I had (MR-4) and went quite slowly, and it is now done, done, done, so now all I have to do is change the height back to what it was originally.

Thanks for being there and helping me through this.

Marg

So Marg, how did you adjust the hopping foot? Did you have

to get into the machine head? Or was there some sort

of screw adjustment like Teresa mentioned. The only screw

I have near the hopping foot of my Ultimate I is the one to insert the needle.

I just got the new APQS hopping foot installed. It seems

much lower than my old one. I think my old one must have

been too high.

I took off the side panel and saw the screw right beside the top of the hopping foot inside the machine head. I was told I could just insert a very long handled straight screw driver through the hole which is just a little bit above and to the left of the tension assembly without taking off that side panel, but I didn't feel comfortable doing that. It's hard when you can't see what you are doing. The screw was really tight, but I was finally able to budge it, and now I am sewing again as normal now that my hopping foot is back to its original height.

We shouldn't be afraid to make adjustments on our machine when we need to do so. Having said that, Ramona, did you install your new hopping foot by yourself? I think I was told that you need to take it completely out, and that means taking off the hook assembly. I am not sure I want to tackle that one. Re-timing my machine scares me to death, and I usually get in an industrial repairman when I need to do that. I really want to get the new hopping foot so I don't have to deal with that adapter when I do ruler work.

Marg

Archived