Bobbin Trouble

This is a first for me. I was quilting along and finished the 1st row and looked on the back and had eyelashess continious the whole row. Ug lots of frogging. But the reason I am telling you about this is I never had a bobbin cause the eyelashes like this. I heard of this but never had it happen to me till now. I had the silver one on and then I changed to the copper looking one and it was a complete turnaround from the silver one. Who knew. Never to old or experienced quilter to learn new tricks. ha!

Nita,

Look to see if there is lint built up under the flat "tension finger" that wraps around the outside of the bobbin case. When top or bobbin thread loops like crazy, it as lost its tension (when the top thread loops like that, it's often because the thread has escaped the tension disks or is not threaded properly.) When the bobbin thread is looping, the case is not putting tension on the thread. Or, as you said, the case could just be trashed! :)

Thanks Dawn but that is not what happened as I cleaned machine throughly before starting this quilt. Now that said and found it was the bobbin(which I put in file 13) everything was working great until I broke a needle on a pin which tells me I was trying to catchup and was rushing. Thats what happen when rushed.

Now I had a weired noise and looked further and it did look weired. I turned by hand the wheel and found out what happened . It cracked my hook and hook was going around without stopping. The hook retainer braket was not in straight , it had moved over. I guess from the needle breaking and getting caught or wedged in hook. Now that said: Does anyone know if the hook is hard to replace ?

Archived