need advise

Robin is right! We cannot use our labor (time) as a tax deduction, only materials. If someone else buys the fabric and makes the quilt, all we can deduct it the cost of the thread and batting, if we supplied it! Same applies even if we made it, only the materials.

I like the fact the QoV quilts do not go back to the makers, but on to the binders, then the organization. That keeps the "I really like how it turned out, I think I'll keep it!" people honest. That's terrible! Asking for the quilting for free as a donation to the cause, then keeping it without paying you for your time? That woman should be charged. Pretty nervy, putting it in a quilt show.

I quilt for my guild and I know it's very appreciated and the quilts are donated. There are a lot of longarmers in the guild and most are very generous with their time. They also have a section of "View from 42", which a local vet started and we make quilts for the wounded service men and women in the base hospital.

Quilters are generous people and most do as much as we can (and still eat). It's not a good feeling when someone takes advantage of you. I agree with the others. It's her donation. She should not expect you to donate to her cause. You have your own. I do the same as Corey. If I can't or don't want to do someone's donation quilt, I tell them I have reached my max for that month or the year and can't do it for free.

Archived