background fillers

qfairy

Hi Quilt Fairy :),

There are some designers who are making computerized block designs with background fillers added. Also some designers have created "frames" which can be used in lieu of SID or as a quilted frame around an applique. Some of these designs are available now and others have been digitized for Statler only and are awaiting conversion to CQ. I am working on a couple of contracts to convert designs right now.

There are some computerized designs that have the appearance of a larger version of a background filler that can be used as an overall design - like McTavishing and shells. You can also place computerized designs then add backround fillers. One way would be to add the fillers with hand-guided stitches, another way would be to learn digitizing to get into other levels of creativity with your CQ, . . . . or you can be on the lookout for professionally digitized designs which are coming out on the world wide market every week. There's a lot of creativity you can do with CQ and I can see that you are already thinking creatively.

If you consider taking the Digitizing for CompuQuilter Workshop at CQ's new Headquarters, you will learn how to convert designs from Statler to CQ. Then its possible to buy Statler files and convert them yourself. This is a very handy skill !! ;) It's important to learn the correct way to convert these designs for use with CQ - some of them are straight forward and others need a little more creative intervention. That's because the rules for digitizing for CQ vs Statler vary . . . . and it's because some of the designs are getting very intricate and more complex, like floral motifs with added words or monograms - things like that ! They are really beautiful but require digitizing knowledge to convert them correctly. I love knowing how to digitize for CQ because that gives me maximum flexibility and creativity, and its fun !

Some of what you're asking is answered with commercially available designs you can purchase, and some of what you're asking ultimately is answered by knowing how to digitize for CQ, which includes digitizing, converting and combining designs. I'm crazy for this stuff - can you tell?

I know you will love your new CompuQuilter - I sure do love mine :P

- Suzanne Moreno

Digitizing for CompuQuilter Instructor

cqdigi@ charter.net

Suzanne,

Even though you are in my "backyard" I am ready to jump on a plane and take your classes at the new CQ headquarters!:)

It will open the door to a whole new world for the endless possibilites in designs for quilting, bless you for sharing your talents!!!:D

You can only convert SS files if the designer will sell the DXF or SKF file. Most of them won't do it, although Kerryn Emerson and her sister are doing it. There are a couple of others also doing it. I'll be really happy when the program is available to convert all of these files to whatever the purchaser needs. A lady in Temple, TX is working on that. I just can't remember her name, but she is with PC Quilter.

You're right Sandy, it would be nice to see some standardizing in the area of digitizing for computerized quilting. I hope it will eventually get there, kinda like embroidery digitizing evolved. Some of the designs that are coming out now are very detailed and there will have to be some way for a program to translate how we path a design vs how the Statler people do it. Thats for genius engineers to figure out (not me). Right now AutoSketch is inexpensive and works very well to produce professional quality designs, conversions, and perform editing functions, like combining designs. There are a couple of large sources for designs right now that will let you buy the Statler.dxf and more and more designers are wanting their designs converted for everyone. In any event the entire subject of digitizing and all the other things you can do with the knowledge will continue to be fascinating and FUN FUN FUN !! :P:P

- Suzanne Moreno :cool:

Digitizing for CompuQuilter Instructor

cqdigi@charter.net

Hi Linda,

I want a ride in your very cool new "snow-hummer". Thanks for the nice comments. It will be fun to see you at the workshop and get your creative feedback as you see more and more of the possibilities with digitizing. I agree with you it opens a whole world of creative designing and computerized quilting. As someone who is also a talented hand quided quilter, you are one of the forward thinkers who realize the unlimited potential of computerized quilting and digitizing. :)

- Suzanne Moreno

Digitizing for CompuQuilter

cqdigi@charter.net

With the price of the Compuquilter I won't be able to take the class they have to offer in their new building...maybe after I get it all paid off(if i don't learn to do it on my own) I will be able to take the classes.

Now you've gotten me all hepped up on learning how to do this with all that is out there this is going to be fun fun fun....YIPPIE

Archived