Bobbin Cam - pros / cons - selling one?

Advice needed:

I have accumulated lots (over 150) pantographs, CL boards, R&S boards. I am hooked. Not many rulers.

After ripping for 8 hours, I am toying with the idea of purchasing the Bobbin Cam.

Looking for pros & cons.

Does anyone have one they would like to sell?

Tonilyn: What do you hope to get by adding a bobbin cam? Your expectations will have a lot to do with how happy you are with it.

I put one on my machine a few weeks back and am pretty happy with it. I wanted to be able the check my bobbin stitch side without crawling under my machine with a flash light. I can now do that. There are some limitations however. First of all, you don't get to see the stitches until you've sewed 2 or 3 inches, and they come into view of the camera. You also have to be sewing left to right in pretty much a straight line. I know that some others have been able to use the second camera that came with the kit, and are happy with it. I haven't found a use for it yet. I never do pantos, so maybe if I did, I'd discover a good use for it.

What it does for me, is allow me to easily look at the bobbin stitches before I do a lot of quilting, so if there is a problem, it isn't too much work to fix the problem, and frog out the stitching, rather than find out I had a problem when the quilt is finished. Thread color and lighting has a lot to do with how well the stitches show as well, but you will get used to that. I look at the monitor when I begin stitching, or when I change the bobbin. Otherwise I don't pay much attention to it. Similarly, if the machine acts funny, or sounds strange, I can quickly check out the bobbin stitch quality on the monitor.

Does it make me a better quilter? No, not really. It just saves me a lot of work if something should go awry. Is it worth the $245 I paid for it? To save the work and inconvenience of an unseen tension issue, you bet! I've paid a lot of money for tools that don't offer that kind of labor savings.

For what it's worth, this is my take on the subject. Jim

Jim gives good advice. I do use a lot of pantos, so have my 2nd camera set up for that and love it. It took a little getting use to, but not a lot. Ditto what Jim said about the bobbin camera. I check with it every time I am stopped, for whatever reason. I figure I paid for it the 1st week I had it with the labor I saved.......

Archived