tension on bottom horizontal issues

If anyone is out there, Strange thing is happening, I'm wondering if it is fabric?? The bottom is a very thin denim, i am using glide on top and so fine in bottom. Stitch is good on top, stitch on bottom going vertical up and down is good, horizontally it almost looks like thread is pulling horizontally, i am going slow, does not seem to make a difference. changed from 3.5 needle to 4.0 and nothing changed, have cleaned and adjusted till i am blue!!! Sandwich seems to be OK. Any ideas anyone??

Glide is a slippery polyester thread and may not be grabbing the SO Fine enough to pull it in to the batting.

No matter what type of denim, it will be a heavier weight than quilting fabric cottons. Or if similar Does the denim have some polyester in it maybe?

What type of batting are you using?

Obivously you have tried these.

Have you loosened your bobbin tension?

Tried tightening your top tension more?

Try Glide in both the top and bobbin.

Thanks! I am using quilters dream blend. I have noticed where the customer sewed a seam ther is a bit iof the same pulling mArks. This quilt is a challenge, spent many hours cutting a stabiliZer off the back of the top which was stuck with spray. Nothing is square and some of the fabrics are corduroy,and even heavier canvas. It's kind of an art quilt to be used as baby quilt. Very different ! She's so proud of it but doesn't know the difference. I don't think I am going to get a perfect result so I guess I am going to jump in and hope for the best. Thanks for your help...I thoroughly went theough Dawn Cavanaughs trouble shooting sheet for this and have no other ideas.

Sheila,

Try loosening the bobbin tension more still, and then tighten up the top tension. Also if possible, relax the quilt sandwich a bit more.

Check that you can only slide a single business card under all the sides of the hopping foot when the needle is as low as possible (turn the fly wheel by hand to check this, don't use the needle up/down button because it doesn't situate the needle at the absolute "rock bottom" location.)

If the foot is too high, or a bit tight on one end, it can cause the problem you're having. Keep us posted!

Dawn,

Done ;) Done ;) and Done ;), it is a bit better, it is a quilt that I also am switching threads on so it has become just a whole lot of fun!!! I understand I have a lot of less than perfect circumstances and am getting probably an OK result.

Thanks for your help! Sheila

p.s. Hope to see you in Kansas City, i will be there Sunday thru Thursday, One of my friends will be trying out your apqs machine with you.

Archived