"Tucking in extra fullness"

I've noticed on a few threads that if a quilt border is wavy, some of you girls put a pleat/tuck in where the fullness is, or some put several small ones in all over as opposed to one large pleat.

Now, how do you treat these tucks to ensure that they keep flat so they look pieced and not lift up where they are not stitched through?

Do you pin it down before loading the Quilt top?

Do you stitch/tack? it down so it stays absolutely flat for as long as the whole pantograph is stitched?

Once the quilt is off the frame, do I pull the "tacking stitches" out, or do I leave it behind?

(All clear as mud?)

I'm not quite sure how you treat these tucks (ughhh), but I guess it looks a little better that puffiness allover? The borders are all flared with about 2 inches extra in each border!! :o

If any of you clever gals would please chime in and educate me on this, I would really appreciate it :) I want to do my absolute best in making the tucks as unobtrusive as possible...

As you know, the pleat/tuck has to be where it has to be! You are on the right track with making the tuck look as much like a seam as you can. Fold it under so it is straight across the border and pin. Then I use a basting stitch to nail it down--I use a high-contrast thread. Then I quilt as usual. At pick-up I gently explain my solution to HER problem (did you see what I said there?) and let her know she will need to remove the basting stitches and applique-stitch the tuck down.

If you are doing semi-custom, piano keys are the perfect solution and sometimes the tuck isn't necessary. Pin perpendicular to the edge, distributing the fullness as you go. Sometimes you will need many pins per inch to get it as flat as you can. Then stitch the piano keys. The fullness will show between the stitched lines. Tell your customer about the fullness at pick-up to not only advise her of piecing problems but also so she won't be surprised when she sews on the binding and has the extra fabric to deal with then!

With nightmare borders, call and ask the customer to either re-apply or offer your solutions. Take photos of the problem areas. Some people won't believe you when you say there is fullness so you can offer some proof...:o

Archived