Lining up Panto..newbie question

Ok-

I am about to use a panto..I mostly have done freehand work. I have some REALLY DUMB questions. First, the pattern I am using is called "whirly gig flowers" or something like that. There is a red half design, a black design in the middle, and then a green design..do I start stitching out the green or the red design first when I begin the quilt?

Second question - after I am done quilting out the green/red and the one black row, how do I line it up next and do I only quilt the black line middle row?

Sorry, but I have watched youtube and googled this, but nothing really has made a ton of sense to me as their designs don't really match what I am using.

JC

Hi JC, talking from one JC to another .....

Once you have quilted the first green and black sections of the panto, you only then need to quilt out the black row until you reach the end of the quilt, and in which case you may want to quilt the top section of your panto (red in this case on your paper panto) depending on where your quilting ends on the quilt. I only very occasionally use that partial row at the end of the quilt, rather I roll on and use the full black row, but only quilt it partially, depending on how much of that row I need to complete the quilt.

When I move on the quilt to the next row, I usually align my laser at the highest point in the pantograph pattern, and roll on my quilt until I can line up my needle with the same highest point stitched out on the quilt. I then check along the quilt to make sure that this same point along the pattern lines up in the same place accross the quilt (in case of any inaccuracies) and if they are any different than the first point I adjust my new starting point a little to take the best "average" so to speak.

You don't always have to quilt the first section of the panto (green in this panto) depending on where you line up your quilt.

I usallly tend to quilt the black portion first, then fill in along the edge of the panto as I need to, and the same at the end of the quilt too.

Hope all of this makes sense.

Archived