I need help....quilt shop owners quilt

I stopped in our local quilt shop today for my show and tell ,shop owner knows I love to quilt and she loves to piece so she had extra for me to practice with ,she wants me to do a custom on this to show case the large scale prints . All her quilts go to shows so I really want to do a WOW job on this because I know it will travel in trunk shows around here in our small neck of the woods ,please help ,it will be my third quilt on the longarm . Please help !!! She does not want it too dense or panto ,so what do you do except maybe outline the fabric ,thanks

I would look to Angela Walter's book for designs on large scale prints and modern quilts. She mostly uses lots of large circles or lines and combines them in interesting ways that really look good on modern quilts. If the large prints are busy, you just want to do something to give it an interesting texture.

I did a quilt very similar to that one a few years ago. My fabrics in the large squares were all crazy tie-dyed fabrics and the sashings and borders were coordinating batiks.

In the blocks I used a Circle Lord template that looks like a sun with wavy rays (can't think of the name of it just now) filling the entire block. I did a freehand design in the sashing and piano keys in the border.

It really turned out great and was rather fast to do, due to the CL template.

If she wants the large print to be the focus, you are right in thinking that outlining the print would be the best. The thread you show (is that Madeira poly? I think I have that one and it works great!) anyway--that's a perfect variegated to use. Spend some time to figure a path around the print--you don't want it too dense and with as little backtracking and tying-off as possible.

The thread you chose for the sashing looks thicker--maybe a Signature variegated? My only suggestion would be to see if the lightest light in that thread is too light for the darkest part of the fabric--and vice versa. If the dark and the light sections of thread are too stark or distracting, go with a brassy thinner thread like BottomLine in taupe or dark gold.

What is the plan for the sashing?

That is Madeira poly ,the other one is some she handed me ,its superior but super thick thats why I was hesitant to use it ,all my thread came with my machine but I have to order bobbin thread ,I have been winding my own but can I do it with the madeira ,its so fine ? I am new to all this ,I know to go to filtec for bobbins but what size for a milli ? Oh ,the quilt back is the same fabric as the squares ,it will be some time yet before I load it ,almost done with what I am calling my pencil drawing quilt ,a dense panto done in heavy black thread ,its really turning out nice ,M&M wheels are fantastic ,I cannot even imagine a blissed out one .

Archived