machine slow starting

I haven't used my machine for a couple of weeks. I have a quilt on it I need to finish. When I turned it on today, it didn't want to put the needle down. I turned the wheel and it went down but just sat there and hummed without my help. It is very warm in my house so I expected it to take off as usual. Any suggestions why this happened? thanks, Jan

Guest Linda S

When is the last time you oiled it? If it is clean and well-oiled, you may need to make an adjustment to the needle up/down screw. I think it's the #8? Under the lid at the top of the machine. Check your manual for instructions.

Janice,

The machine will typically need a bit of warm up, even if the room temp is warm. After running the machine for about 10 minutes, check the needle up/down speed again. It will usually get faster once the circuit boards are warmed up. If it still remains very slow, first check that no threads have snuck into the fly wheel or take up lever opening and wrapped themselves around the inside. (You can remove the left front cover to see inside.)

If all looks well inside, then adjust the circuit board screw to speed up the positioner (but do that after that 10-minute warm up.)

Archived