Lost in mail,gear box cap

:unsure: I pray my gear box cap comes tommorrow,received invoice today dated oct. 2 from apqs ,normally I receive them days later after my parts have arrived ,I received my shipment of new threads today glide and fil-tec bobbins ,praying for a full weekend of quilting but it aint lookin good so far and if monday is a mailman holiday its going to go from bad to worst

Hi Queenie,

I have not been able to check emails and the Forum as regularly these past three days due to the local AQS show (one more day tomorrow)...are you having trouble with your gearbox leaking grease? If you have repacked it some ooze is perfectly normal after that, as the pressure equalizes between the two sides of the gearbox plate. The cap is meant to reduce the annoyance of that ooze, but it isn't meant to necessarily hold the grease inside the gearbox. Just in case you were wondering and worried about it, it won't all leak out. Just wipe up the excess until the cap arrives. Let me know if you have questions!

That's OK Queenie. If it is leaking from behind the hook assembly, you will not need to remove it at all. Leave it on the rails, and then work from the front of the machine. Use a bit of mineral spirits to thoroughly clean around the gearbox drive shaft and gold bushing to remove any remaining oily residue. Then use Super Glue GEL (not the runny kind) and run a bead of the gel around the OUTSIDE edge of the gold bushing. You don't want any of the super glue to get on the inner side of the bushing, because that shaft inside the bushing must turn. Then press the new cap in place over the bushing (when the cap arrives, of course) and hold it in place for about 30 seconds to set the glue. Give it a little while to harden up, and you should be good to go! :)

Archived