Took the plunge,now what

:wub: I finally took the plunge and stocked up on fil tec bobbins and glide thread ,my question is with the magnet holding the bobbin how do you adjust the pull in the bobbin ,I thought I had all this down to a science until now ,I removed the spring before I started but the stitches look great with tightning and loosening ,I know I could only be so lucky but without a towa gauge what is the best ,should the thread drop on its own or with me pulling on it ? How this makes any sense :rolleyes:

Queenie,

I am not completely positive but I don't think the spider drop test works with magnatized bobbins. I think what I would do without a Towa gauge is put the bobbin in and pull on the upper and bobbin thread and see if the pull is equal. If it is and your stitches look good ;)What's the Problem???? B) I always say if it ain't broke don't fix it! LOL :)

That is my motto also ,this is like too good to be true ,I started out on the threads that came with my machine for practice saving the good stuff ,wow what a differance ,unreal how much I can quilt before bobbin runs out ,I finally found a thread on here about them ,I was just getting use to the old forum before it changed ,no more kids left at home to teach me all the new gadgets and shortcuts ,thank you

Lucky that you have trouble free stitching with your machine, honestly! The spider test does not work with the magnetic bobbins as it keeps it held in place (it would take more yank to get the bobbin to drop which then is not representative of how the thread is coming off the bobbin when sewing). Until I got my TOWA I did exactly what Julia says to do, and honestly - if you are going to use the magnetic bobbins - don't worry about investing in the TOWA at this time or near future. I purchased the TOWA because I got a very good deal and I was pretty darn sure it would make my life easier. Guess what? I just second guess decisions I was making just fine before :P and I rarely use it. I do the pull test with the top and bobbin thread when using magnaglides. When winding my own on the turbo winder, I do the spider test and pull test of both threads, and I, too, have very few issues with tension with my old Ulti I - let's just allow ourselves to feel blessed and trust our machines. If it looks good, I go with it! :)

Guest Linda S

Ah Queenie! I see you have found my secret weapon! Yes, it's true the drop test doesn't work with the magnetic bobbins, but generally, the thread tension is so good, it doesn't matter. If you can, get a Towa gauge. They are well worth the investment. I run my bobbins around 22, but sometimes have to adjust a bit for different top threads. Since I usually use Glide, though, I don't have to fiddle much. When I do, it's usually the top tension I mess with. I haven't wound a bobbin or used one other than Fil-Tec's magna glide or magna quilt (their cotton bobbins), since trying my first one about five years ago. I love, Love, LOVE them!

I intentionally saved the best for last while learning with differant threads and playing with tention ,but wow ,I thought the bobbin would never run out !!! It was a little strange in the beginning ,I felt like I was playing with fishing line .I cant wait to do a whole quilt with it !

Queenie,

I have two bobbin cases, one for the magnetic bobbins and one for bobbins I wind myself. I keep the bobbin pretty loose. I pull on the thread and make sure it doesn't take too much pull to unwind it. You'll be able to feel the difference. Then adjust the top accordingly. Rarely do I even have tension issues with the magnetic bobbins but I've found that as time has gone by I have less and less trouble getting my tension balanced. Just takes lots of practice.

For any newbies like myself I highly recommend these bobbins and thread ,especially if you are intimidated with tention adjustments ,I started out practicing with the hardest most intimidating threads just because I didnt have alot of time to quilt yet ,now I just have to pray for a good winter full of snow !!!

Archived