You just never know!

Do y'all remember me complaining about that one quilt that had the paper chunks left on it, gaping holes where seams didn't match, batting with chunks missing and the backing that had about 40 pieces that needed to be fit together? I ended up telling the lady I couldn't quilt it. She was so sad:o She begged and pleaded and I told her I could baste it but there were so many humps were seams met and holes were the seams didn't meet, I would do the best I could and she was going to hand quilt it. I did it all and sent it back to her about 2 months ago.

Well, I got home from picking DS up today and she had called and left a message. I picked up the phone and hung it up 3 different times before I finally had the courage to call her back. I didn't know if she had just now gotten over the horror of the job I did on her quilt and she wanted to curse at me or what but I called. She LOVED it! She bound it just like it was and is using it!

She has four more quilts to send me. I swallowed (gulped!) and explained to her that I want ONE piece of backing per quilt that is 8" wider and longer than the top and the same for the batting. She decided she would just buy the backing and batting from me. Whew!

I never ever thought I'd hear back from this lady so you just never know!

Guest Linda S

Good for you Judy!

Sometimes you just have to show people what a properly put-together quilt looks like and tell them what you need to do the job properly. I hope the tops she sends you are capable of being pounded into submission. I've finally finished my last T-shirt quilt and have decided that all t-shirt quilts get a 50% PITA surcharge from here on out. Seems the thread likes to break in the t-shirt part. Frogging the t-shirts is NOT an easy task. I hope to never do another!

Linda

I think, Judy, your experience with this quilt is a good lesson for others who may, at some point, encounter the same problem. The way you handled it lets us all breathe a sigh of relief. I think you would have had to use a lot of diplomacy to tell this customer her quilt simply wasn't (to say the least) up to par. The fact that you managed to salvage the quilt for her and, as an added bonus, let her know what you need to be able to properly do any future quilting for her has, obviously, endeared you to her. This customer will likely be a new 'regular'.

I'm happy, Linda, that you've finally finished the t-shirt quilts. . .I'm likely going to think of your experience when, and if, I'm asked to do a t-shirt quilt. The nice thing about having this behind you is that you now know you don't want to do this type of quilt and if you're pressured, you can always add your 50% markup as a deterrent!;)

BTW, how is the quilt you were commissioned to do coming along? Do you have free reign to do what you want or were there specifics?

Carolyn

Linda will respond to why the ones she did were difficult but I've done a few .. not many . . and haven't had any trouble.

I'm betting they're like all quilts . . depending on how they're put together, the quality "ingredients" and the client's quilting wishes, some can be a breeze and some will be a nightmare.

But, if you have the opportunity to quilt one, I would definitely recommend trying it.

Guest Linda S

The problem with my T-shirt quilts was this. They were well-pieced and well-stabilized, but they were sashed with low-quality fabric, the piecer wasn't one who liked to trim threads. She didn't want to see the quilting, but she wanted me to quilt around the designs on the T-shirts. Of course, but sashings were dark, the t-shirts were light. So, I chose a medium color gray bottom line thread so the stitching wouldn't show much. The rubbery stuff on the T-shirts can make the thread break. If the thread breaks on the t-shirt portion and you need to frog, frogging t-shirt material is a real PITA. I have had one T-shirt quilt that was a simple SID, no quilting on the T-shirt designs and, by comparison, it was a breeze. I also did not estimate the jobs correctly and ended up being severely underpaid for the amount of work I had to put into these quilts. One good thing about them? They were terrific learning experiences!

Linda

Linda; I know you know this but it all does get better. I severely underestimated the time it would take me on every quilt I did for the first year I think. I just couldn't bring myself to charge an amount that was actually in line with the amount of time it would take. I'm past that point now! :P

But, there are still times when I misunderestimate <G> the charges but most of the time it's because I decide to do more than I had originally planned and most of the time that's because I just want to have fun!

Guest Linda S

I know it will eventually Judy! I so wanted to get some pics up on my website so people could see my quilting so I could get some work, but I don't want to put up the pics of the T-shirt quilts, because I don't want people to think that's the type of stuf I do! I especially don't want to encourage people to bring me more of them. Not right off the bat anyway. I'm working on a few more things and hopefully, will get some pics up soon, so folks can see I'm a 'real' quilter! I just finished piecing a couple of snail's trail blocks for a quilt that my group has been commissioned to make for an office on campus. I am to be paid for quilting it. I can hardly wait!!

Linda

Archived