Dawn's Ladybugs

Several weeks ago my husband noticed a Pfaff 7570 for sale on Craigslist. He then noticed several more ads with the same phone number for fabric, books, rulers, etc. The poor woman has multiple myeloma, her stem cell transplant is not working and she is reacting badly to chemo. She just wanted to get enough out of all her current quilting stuff to buy herself a new fancy sewing machine--her comment made me cry, "if I am going to die, I want to at least get to use a really great sewing machine before I do." We bought the entire lot.

OK, that was a long sad story to tell before I get to the topic. In this mass of stuff we bought were boxes of old magazines. I was thumbing through a Jan./Feb. 2008 copy of Fons & Porter's Love of Quilting, when I noticed an article by Dawn about continuous curve quilting. Does this sound familiar--"Ladybug walks across the floor until she hits the second wall....." I took a class from Dawn at MQS about 4 years ago and she taught us to do continuous curve using exactly that little "ladybug and house story." And I've never forgotten it--as I'm going across a quilt I say to myself, "now ladybug, that's a wall, go up and back down."

Archived